Keep it quick & simple!
What to Serve With:
the Best Orange Glazed Tofu
- 14 oz extra firm tofu - organic non-gmo
- 1.25 cups orange juice - freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce - low sodium ( you can use liquid aminos instead)
- 2 cloves garlic - grated
- 2 tsp ginger root - grated
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup - or to taste
- 1 red chili pepper - sliced
- 2 inch orange peel
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 lime - sliced
- 2 tbsp cilantro or basil leaves - fresh
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Remove tofu from the packaging and drain well on paper towels. Allow it to dry some more in the refrigerator on more paper towels if possible. Otherwise just do a good job patting it dry as best as you can.
- Slice the tofu into half inch cubes or strips.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet on medium low flame. Add a drizzle of coconut oil and make sure to coat the bottom of the pan. We are only looking to create a natural non-stick surface here.
- Add the tofu cubes to the hot skillet without touching each other. Work in batches if needed. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown, then using a spatula flip them over an cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a mixing bowl whisk together the orange juice, tamari soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic, ginger and a small pinch of sea salt. Mix in half of the red chili pepper and the orange peel. Add the sauce to a shallow skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes until reduced by half. Taste and adjust seasonings with more maple and a squeeze of lime.
- Transfer the crispy tofu to the orange glaze and spoon some over the top. Cook a couple more minutes until all the tofu is coated in the sauce. Serve hot garnished with the remaining red chili, sesame seeds and fresh herbs.