Why We Love It:
Easy Chickpea Stew
- 1 leek - sliced and rinsed
- 3 cups chickpeas
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 bell pepper - cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 carrots - cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp ginger root - grated
- 2 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 strips lemon peel
- 5 dates - pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 qt water + more as needed
- 4 leaves chard (or 1/2 lb baby spinach) - stems chopped & leaves sliced
- 1 tsp pepper flakes + more to your taste
- 5 tbsp hemp hearts - for serving
- 2 tsp olive oil or a splash of water (optional)
- 1 pinch sea salt -to taste
- 1 lemon
- Preheat a large heavy bottom pot over medium low flame. Add the leeks with a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water and sautee for 5 minutes until wilted.
- Stir in the carrots, bell pepper, chard stems and dates then toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with the paprika, red pepper flakes, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon and give everything a good stir. Cook for about a minute until you can smell all the spices.
- Stir in the ginger and garlic together with the lemon peel and tomato paste and a good sprinkling of sea salt.
- Add the chickpeas and the water and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook on medium low flame for 1.5 to 2 hours until the chickpeas are softened to your liking.
- Taste the stew and adjust seasoning with sea salt and a good squeeze of lemon. Stir in the fresh chard chard leaves. Serve with lemon wedges and sprinkled with the hemp seeds for added protein.
- Depending on weather or not you soaked the chickpeas you might need to add more liquid to the stew.
- If using canned chickpeas then only cook them for about 20 minutes until just warmed through.