The best, easy vegan mac and cheese recipe with broccoli, roasted sweet potato and cashews. So simple a kid could do it!
Vegan mac and cheese tastes amazing!
Sweet potato and butternut squash (even carrots & pumpkin) are totally interchangeable in this recipe, so feel free to swap one for the other if you like. I’ll usually roast a big batch of them to have for the week, so really whatever is in the fridge is going in here.
Simple stove top and blender dinner:
- Cook the pasta and broccoli in the same pot as instructed in the recipe.
- Whip up the cheese sauce in a powerful blender. A few minutes of simmering is all the sauce needs to become lusciously thick, creamy and cheesy thanks to the magic of nutritional yeast and tapioca. The Best!
- Mix everything together and dive into deliciousness.
It’s so delicious, I’m making it for Thanksgiving!
This Easy Vegan Mac and Cheese is Everything:
Mac and Cheese Topping Ideas:
How to Make Vegan Mac and Cheese:
Easy Vegan Mac and Cheese
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 3/4 lb whole wheat elbow macaroni pasta
- 3 cups broccoli florets + more
Make the Cheese Sauce:
- Rinse and soak the cashews in hot water for 20 minutes or in cold water overnight.
- Drain and rinse again then add them to a powerful blender together with the roasted potato, nutritional yeast, all the spice and water. Process until silky smooth.
- Transfer the cheese sauce to a medium pot and bring to a simmer. Stir well for a few minutes until thick and creamy. Remove from flame, taste and adjust seasonings with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Cook the Pasta:
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a good pinch of salt (the water should taste like the ocean). Add the macaroni and cook for 2 minutes less than the instructions on the box say.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pot with the pasta and simmer together for 2 minutes. The pasta and broccoli should be perfectly cooked al dente at this point but give it a taste anyways. You don’t want to overcook them.
- Reserve one cup of the pasta water then drain the pasta and broccoli in a colander. Add them to the pot with the cheese sauce and toss everything to coat well. (Add a little bit of the reserved pasta water if needed to stretch out the sauce at this point).
- Serve hot topped with smoky tempeh bits or sesame tofu if desired.