The best, easy vegan mac and cheese recipe with broccoli, roasted sweet potato and cashews. So simple a kid could do it!
Vegan mac and cheese tastes amazing!
Sweet potato and butternut squash (even carrots & pumpkin) are totally interchangeable in this recipe so feel free to swap one for the other if you like. I’ll usually roast a big batch of them to have for the week, so really whatever is in the fridge is going in here.
It’s so delicious, I’m making it for Thanksgiving you guys!
This Easy Vegan Mac and Cheese is Everything:
Mac and Cheese Topping Ideas:
Sweet and Sour Tofu.
How to Make It Video:
Easy Vegan Mac and Cheese
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 3/4 lb whole wheat elbow macaroni pasta
- 3 cups broccoli florets + more
Make the Cheese Sauce:
- Rinse and soak the cashews in hot water for 3 hours or in cold water overnight.
- Drain and rinse again then add them to a powerful blender together with the roasted potato, nutritional yeast, all the spice and water. Process until silky smooth.
- Transfer the cheese sauce to a medium pot and bring to a simmer. Stir well for a few minutes until thick and creamy. Remove from flame, taste and adjust seasonings with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Cook the Pasta:
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a good pinch of salt (the water should taste like the ocean). Add the macaroni and cook for 2 minutes less than the instructions on the box say.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pot with the pasta and simmer together for 2 minutes. The pasta and broccoli should be perfectly cooked al dente at this point but give it a taste anyways. You don’t want overcook them.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli in a colander then add them to the pot with the cheese sauce.
- Toss everything to coat well in the cheese sauce and serve hot.