Anyhow, I wanted to show you how to make my favorite, oven roasted tomato soup at home.
Oven Roasted Tomato Soup
Probably one of the most simple but popular soups in the world, a bowl of homemade tomato soup is comforting, healing, warming and delicious no matter the season.
- 10 heirloom tomatoes -sliced into wedges
- 10 cloves garlic -peeled
- 1 large yellow onion -sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil (replace with a splash of veggie stock for WFPB diet)
- 1 bunch fresh thyme ( about 10 sprigs)
- 5 cups vegetable stock -low sodium
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs: basil, chives, oregano, parsley etc (for garnish)
- 1/3 cup coconut cream (optional)
Preheat your oven to 350”F.
Ad the tomatoes, garlic, onion and thyme to a large roasting dish. Drizzle with the olive and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt all over the top.
Roast for 1.5 hours or until the tomatoes have completely collapsed and start to caramelize around the edges.
Discard the thyme sprigs and transfer the roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion together with all the juices to a medium soup pot. (Reserve some for garnish) Add the veggie stock and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
Use an immersion blender and carefully puree the soup until smooth and creamy.
Adjust seasonings again with more sea salt and serve garnished with the reserved roasted tomatoes and the fresh herbs.
If desired feel free to add the coconut cream at this point for a smoother creamier consistency. Totally optional!