The Best Roast Vegetable Salad!
I’ve been fond of heirloom black rice since the first day we met. However, this roasted veggie salad is equally delicious on a bed of pesto quinoa, whole wheat couscous, lentils, bulgur, farro or brown rice. Work with what’s in your pantry at the present moment.
what to serve with:
mango avocado sauce
Garnish with a handful of toasted walnuts, pine nuts, pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries. Let your imagination run wild and wow your dinner guests this holiday season! It’s Thanksgiving after all kids!
Why we love it ? It’s:
- Incredibly delicious
- Easy to make
- Healthy, Hearty & Nutritious
- Plant Based Vegan.
P.S. If you make this recipe please let me know in the comments below, don’t forget to snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram. ~ Florentina Xo’s
how to make roast vegetable salad:
Italian Roast Vegetable Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 butternut squash -medium size
- 1 lb Brussel sprouts
- 2 red beets - medium size
- 1.5 cups heirloom black rice
- 2.5 cups water (or your favorite vegetable stock)
- 1 leaf bay
- 2 strips orange peel
- 1 pinch sea salt
Orange Lemon Dressing
- 1 blood orange -juiced & zested
- 1/2 lemon -juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil -extra virgin
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/3 cup basil leaves -for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400"F. Add a cast iron skillet on the bottom rack.
- Rinse the beets well and add them to a roasting dish together with a splash of water. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour in the preheated oven, until done to your liking. Remove from oven and allow them to sit until cool enough to handle. Peel and discard the skins and slice the beets into half inch squares. Set aside until needed.
- Meanwhile peel the butternut squash, slice in half and using a spoon scoop out the seeds from the center and discard.
- Cut the squash into 1 inch cubes and transfer to a roasting dish. Drizzle with a light drizzle of olive oil and a good pinch of sea salt. Spread them out on the tray without touching each other and roast in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes until softened and start to caramelize around the edges.
- While the beets and squash finish cooking, trim the ends from the Brussel sprouts and cut them in half lengthwise. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with a drop of olive and a pinch of sea salt. Toss to coat well and carefully transfer them to the preheated cast iron skillet in the oven, preferably cut side down. After 15 minutes give them a toss so they brown all over and cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes until cooked to your liking.
Make the Black Rice:
- Bring the rice, bay leaf, orange peel, a pinch of sea salt and water to a boil over medium flame. Cover with a lid, turn the flame down to medium - low and simmer for 30 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Remove from flame and allow it to sit covered for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Make the Citrus Vinaigrette:
- Combine the freshly squeezed blood orange and lemon juice with the olive oil, a pinch of the orange zest and a pinch of sea salt. Whisk well until combined and adjust seasonings to taste with more lemon and sea salt.
Assemble the salad:
- In a large bowl toss together the black rice with the vinaigrette until combined. (Reserve some for serving)Plate on a serving tray and top with the roasted beets, squash and Brussel sprouts. Drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette and garnish with the basil. Serve warm!