A simple vegan stuffing recipe made with whole wheat crusty bread, shiitake mushrooms, red bell peppers and fragrant fresh herbs.
Way less involved than our best vegan stuffing from last year ( which you should totally make if you have the time btw), but delicious nonetheless!
Shiitake mushrooms, onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper, thyme and rosemary sautéed with a splash of dry white wine, then tossed together with crusty whole bread bread and baked to perfection in a homemade veggie stock.
Of course I hope you finish like a boss with these mini pumpkin cheesecakes I have yet to manage and keep around for more than one day. Time for me to start labeling my stuff around here 😉
Simple Vegan Stuffing
- 8 cups whole wheat stale bread -cubed
- 1 large yellow onion or 1 leek -diced
- 4 cloves garlic -minced
- 2 ribs celery -sliced
- 1 red bell pepper -diced
- 3/4 lb shiitake mushrooms
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (leaves only)
- 10 sprig fresh thyme (leaves only)
- 1.5 cups veggie stock
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 pinch sea salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 375” F. If your bread isn’t dry / stale make sure to toast it first.
- Heat up a large skillet over medium low flame. Add a splash of water and the chopped onion and saute a few minutes until translucent. ( if using leeks make sure to rinse them very well after chopping).
- Stir in the celery with a pinch of sea salt and saute another 5 minutes or so until softened. Add the bell pepper and give it a good stir.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and hit it with the white wine. Stir in the thyme leaves and rosemary and allow everything to cook together until the mushrooms have wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to a large bowl and combine together with the stale bread and veggie stock.
- Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil and pour in your stuffing. (instead of oil you can line your pan with parchment paper).
- Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until little golden edges form. ( You can also pop it under the broiler for a couple of minutes, just make sure to use a broiler proof dish if planning on doing this last step).
- Squeeze the lemon over the top of the stuffing and serve garnished with the parsley!
- this is not a soggy kind of stuffing, if that’s what you are after make sure to increase the veggie stock by 1 cup or so but I don’t recommend it.