It’s Hearty. High-Protein. Easy. Quick. Gluten-free.
Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
- 1 yellow onion -diced
- 6 cloves garlic -minced
- 2 cups green lentils -rinsed
- 2 large sweet potatoes -cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots -sliced into thin rounds
- 15 oz canned fire roasted tomatoes -diced
- 2 tbsp Mexican seasonings -salt free
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5-1 tsp cumin -to taste
- 1.5 tsp red pepper flakes
- 9 cups veggie stock or water (low sodium)
- 2 leaves bay
- 10 sprig thyme
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 1/2 cup Cilantro leave
- 1 lime -optional, for serving
- 1.5 tsp sea salt +more to taste
- Heat up a large heavy dutch oven over medium low flame. Add the onion and carrot with a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water. Add a pinch of sea salt and sautee for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes, garlic, Mexican seasonings, smoked paprika, cumin and sea salt and toss to coat well.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, lentils, sweet potatoes and tomatoes. Pour in the veggie stock or water and bring to a steady simmer. Partially cover with a lid and cook for about 15 to 25 minutes until the lentils and potatoes are cooked through.
- Discard the thyme sprigs and bay, taste and adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt. Serve with the fresh cilantro on top and lemon wedges on the side.