Why we love it ? It’s:
If you make this recipe please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram
Vegan Mushroom Brown Rice Recipe
- 2 cups brown rice -organic
- 2 tbsp olive oil or water
- 1 onion -diced ( or a small leek)
- 4 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 carrot -diced
- 1 bell pepper -diced
- 1.5 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- 1.5 lb mushrooms -sliced
- 3.75 cups filtered water
- 2 leaves bay
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1 chili pepper - to taste
- 1/3 cup dry white wine ( or a splash of water )
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds -optional
- 1/3 cup mixed fresh herbs - chopped for garnish
- 1 lime -for serving
- Add 1 tbsp of olive to a medium heavy bottom pot (optional).Stir in 3/4 of the diced onion or leeks and sautéed for a few minutes until translucent. (Add a splash of water if not using any olive oil)
- Add the carrot and diced bell pepper and cook a few more minutes. Stir in as much of the chili pepper as you can handle then add 1/2 lb of the mushrooms.
- Stir in the brown rice and cook for a coupe of minutes.
- Add the 3 of the garlic cloves, smoked paprika, coriander, thyme and bay leaf and pour in the water. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a tight lid, lower the flame and cook for 45 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow the rice to sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat up your largest skillet on medium flame. Add the remaining olive oil and onion and sautée with a pinch of sea salt until translucent. Quickly stir in the remaining garlic an cook for about 20 seconds taking care not to burn it.
- Stir in the remaining mushrooms and toss to coat well. Cook until starting to wilt then add the white wine or a splash of water. Bring to a simmer and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Taste and adjust seasonings with sea salt and black pepper.
- Remove the lid from the rice, discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs then fluff it with a fork. Taste and adjust seasonings then stir in the cooked mushrooms reserving some to serve on top.
- Serve with the lime on the side, garnished with the fresh herbs and pomegranate seeds.