Best meatless vegan lasagna recipe with spinach and mushrooms. Easy to make from scratch and packed to the max with comforting textures from creamy cashew ricotta cheese filling, protein packed no boil pasta baked in the most flavorful and saucy San Marzano tomato sauce. (VIDEO)
No Boil Lasagna Noodles
About the Veggies
The Tomato Sauce
How to Layer the Vegan Lasagna
- Start with a thick layer of the best tomato sauce spread on the bottom of the pan like a blanket.
- Cover with a layer of no boil noodles slightly overlapping each other or tightly packed together, until the whole bottom is covered.
- Spread all of the vegan ricotta over the top of the noodles.
- Add your veggies, in our case mushrooms and spinach.
- Spread another layer of tomato sauce + a layer of noodles.
- Cover with the remaining sauce spread evenly over the top.
- OPTIONAL but So GOOD: finish by layering few slices of smoked gouda cheese (I used Follow Your Heart) and a few slices of heirloom tomatoes. Cover + Bake! How about a Pesto drizzle too..?!
The leftovers of this lasagna both keep and travel well as lunches to go. Easily reheated in the microwave or conventional oven, plus you can also freeze the entire dish before or after baking tightly wrapped in plastic wrap. Remember to thaw out overnight before reheating.
Vegan Pasta Recipes
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Avocado Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Alfredo
- Vegan Pasta Carbonara
- Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Stuffed Shells
- Bucatini Pomodoro
- Cherry Tomato Basil Pasta.
how to make the best vegan lasagna recipe
Vegan Lasagna with Spinach and Ricotta
- 4.25 cups San Marzano Tomato Sauce
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1 lb mushrooms -sliced ( or canned artichoke hearts)
- 1/2 onion -diced
- 12 oz no boil lentil lasagna noodles
- 6 oz vegan smoked Gouda cheese slices ( Follow Your Heart) - OPTIONAL
- 1 large heirloom tomato -sliced
- 1/3 cup basil leaves (for garnish)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Prepare the tomato sauce in advance.
Make the Cashew Ricotta
- Rinse and soak the cashew with hot water for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse again then add them to a powerful blender (or food processor) together with all the ingredients. Process until creamy and smooth. Refrigerate until needed.2 cups raw cashews, 3/4 cups water, 1 lemon, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 400”F.
- Heat up a large skillet over medium flame. Add a splash of water and sautée the onion with a pinch of salt until translucent, about 5 minutes or so. Add the mushrooms and cook together another 10 minutes or so until wilted and the water has evaporated. Taste and season with sea salt. Set aside until needed.1/2 onion, 1 lb mushrooms
- In the same skillet add another teaspoon of water and add the spinach. Sautee until wilted then season with a tiny pinch of sea salt. Transfer to a colander to drain. Once cool enough to handle use your hands to squeeze as much of the liquid as possible. Set aside.6 cups baby spinach
- Brig out your lasagna pan ( 8X12 works fine) and spread 1.5 cups of the tomato sauce on the bottom. Layer enough of the lasagna noodles to slightly overlap each other and cover the bottom. You might need to break a couple of them to fill in any gaps on the sides depending on the shape of your pan.12 oz no boil lentil lasagna noodles, 4.25 cups San Marzano Tomato Sauce
- Add the cashew ricotta over the top and spread it across in an even layer. (Sprinkle with a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg at this point if desired).
- Top with the sautéed spinach and mushrooms then add 1.25 cups of the tomato sauce.
- Add another layer of the lasagna noodles slightly overlapping each other and finish with a layer of the remaining sauce.
- Finish with a layer of the vegan smoked gouda on top and the sliced heirloom tomatoes. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and red pepper flakes.6 oz vegan smoked Gouda cheese slices, 1 large heirloom tomato, 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Cover the lasagna pan with aluminum foil (or oven proof lid) and transfer it to the preheated oven for 45 - 50 minutes until the noodles have cooked through.
- Allow to cool and set for a good 15 minutes before serving with the fresh basil on top.1/3 cup basil leaves
WFPB + Plantricious
- This recipe is actually WFPB (whole food plant based) + Plantricious. However you must omit the top vegan cheese layer to stay compliant.
- If you are using cooked lasagna noodles instead of the no bake lentil or whole wheat noodles, you can cut back on the baking time to about 25 minutes, just enough for the flavors to marry and the cheese to melt.
- If you are on a WFPB oil-free diet simply omit the final smoked gouda cheese layer and your lasagna will be oil-free.