Potato Mushroom Soup
A creamy potato mushroom soup recipe reminiscent of a rich chowder but made with whole food vegan ingredients that are nutritious and good for you.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 3/4 lb mushrooms (sliced)
- 6 medium golden potatoes (rinsed & cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 carrots -diced
- 1 stick celery -chopped
- 1/2 chopped onion ( or 1/2 cup sliced leeks)
- 4 cloves garlic -minced
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 cup coconut or cashew milk (full fat)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 tsp ground mustard
- 2 leaves bay
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 pinch sea salt -to taste
- 1 pinch nutmeg -freshly grated
- 2 cups baby spinach (or broccoli florets)
Preheat a large soup pot over medium flame. Add the onion (or leeks) together with a splash of water and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the carrots and celery and a pinch of sea salt and cook another 5 minutes or so until softened.
Add the garlic, bay leaf, thyme, ground mustard and turmeric and give everything a quick stir. Add the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes or so until wilted. Stir in the potatoes and pour in the water.
Bring the soup to a simmer, add a good pinch of sea salt and cover with a lid. Cook for about 20 minutes or so until the potatoes are cooked through.
Adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt then stir in the spinach. Cook just another minute or so until wilted. (If adding broccoli instead you’ll need to cook it a few more minutes)
Stir in the coconut milk and remove from heat. Serve hot with a sprinkling of nutmeg and freshly cracked black pepper on top.
- If you are working with spices that are not the freshest you might want to increase those amounts for more flavor as spices lose their flavor very quickly just sitting in the pantry.
- I strive to inspire and encourage everyone towards a WFPB lifestyle which also means cutting salt and fat from our diets. I add only a symbolic amount of salt to recipes so you can adjust to your taste and hopefully learn to love natural whole foods without too much added salt.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 62mg | Potassium: 1122mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4405IU | Vitamin C: 28.1mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 7.9mg