Easy Vegan Green Bean Casserole
The best, easy vegan green bean casserole recipe from scratch, made with creamy but healthy mushroom gravy, fresh green beans and all under 30 minutes.
Servings 6 people
- 1 lb green beans (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 lb wild chanterelles, shiitakes or baby bella mushrooms - sliced or chopped
- 1 yellow onion - chopped
- 8 sprigs thyme - leaves only
- 6 sprigs fresh marjoram or oregano - leaves only
- 2 cups almond or cashew milk ( plain, your favorite kind )
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp sea salt - or to taste
- 2.5 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup crispy fried onions or Panko bread crumbs (OPTIONAL)
Prepare a double boiler with a couple of inches of water and bring to a simmer. Add the fresh green beans to the top basket making sure it doesn’t touch the water below it. Cover with lid and steam for about 10 minutes until the beans are tender to your liking. Make sure not to overcook them, you want a nice al dente texture not puree. Check after 5 minutes and keep a close eye on them.
Make the Mushroom Gravy:
Heat a large skillet over medium low flame. Add a drizzle of olive oil (or a splash of water or veggie stock for WFPB Plantricious diets) then add the onion and a tiny pinch of sea salt. Saute for a few minutes until the onion is wilted and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the mushrooms, thyme and marjoram leaves and cook another 5 minutes or so until they have wilted. Add the white wine and let everything simmer until the wine has evaporated almost completely.
In a separate bowl whisk together the cashew milk with the flour, onion and garlic powders, nutritional yeast and sea salt. Add the mixture to the skillet with the mushrooms.
Bring the gravy to a gentle simmer and cook for a couple of minutes until thickened up to your liking. Adjust seasonings.
Add the steamed green beans to the mushroom gravy and toss to combine well. Serve hot!
At this point you can transfer the beans to a broiler proof dish, sprinkle with panko bread crumbs or store bought crispy onions and broil for a few minutes until golden on top.
Alternately preheat your oven to 400 “F. Top the green bean casserole with the panko or the onions and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown on top to your liking.
- You can add 2 teaspoons of sweet or smoked paprika to the gravy if desired. However, I only recommend doing this if using brown baby bella mushrooms. When using wild chanterelles or shiitakes please omit as it would overpower their beautiful delicate flavors.
- You can use any plant milk you choose, cashew, almond, oat, just make sure it is plain and unsweetened.
- To keep the recipe WFPB oil free and Plantricious compliant make sure to saute in water , wine or veggie broth and use whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour.
Calories: 87kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 261mg | Potassium: 619mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 648IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 4mg