Healthy Cabbage and White Bean Soup
The best vegan healthy cabbage soup recipe with Italian flair from white cannellini beans, tomatoes and herbs.
Servings 6 people
- 1 small green cabbage - shredded
- 15 oz canned white cannellini beans
- 15 oz canned fire roasted tomatoes - diced
- 1/2 yellow onion or leek - diced
- 1 carrot - shredded (optional)
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 leaves bay
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 5 sprigs fresh dill
- 1/2 cup Italian Parsley - chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill - roughly chopped for garnish
- 2 tbsp fresh chives - snipped
- 10 cups water or vegetable stock + more as needed
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 2 tsp water (or olive oil)
Heat up a large soup pot over medium low flame. Add the diced onion or leeks with a pinch of sea salt and a splash of water (or a drizzle of olive oil). You can totally go oil-free here and not miss a thing, I promise.
Stir in the carrot, a pinch of red pepper flakes and caraway seeds and cook everything together for about 5 minutes until the onion / leeks have softened.
Add the shredded cabbage, bay leaf, peppercorns, dill sprigs and fresh thyme. Give it a stir and cook together another 5 minutes or so until the cabbage has softened.
Pour in the tomatoes and water or vegetable stock and bring to a good simmer. Cook the soup for another 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt and the apple cider vinegar.
Meanwhile, rinse and drain the cannellini beans and add them to the cabbage soup. Cook a few more minutes until just warmed through.
Serve hot, garnished with the fresh parsley, dill and chives. Optional: add cooked quinoa or brown rice for a more filling stew at this point if desired.
- This soup always tastes best the next day as the beans and cabbage sit together in the broth with the herbs and absorb all those flavors. Makes great leftovers!
- To keep it WFPB & Plantricious compliant make sure to avoid adding any oils to the recipe.
Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 8g | Sodium: 181mg | Potassium: 731mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2860IU | Vitamin C: 70.7mg | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 4.5mg