Vegan Lentil Salad
The best vegan lentil salad with cucumber and tomatoes in a fresh and zesty lemon dressing with dill, parsley and basil.
Servings 4 people
- 1 cup dried French lentils -rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 3 green onions -chopped
- 3-4 Persian cucumbers
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes -chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (omit or replace with Tahini for WFPB & Plantricious diets)
- 1/4 cup fresh dill -roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves -chopped
- 2 tbsp basil leaves -torn or thinly sliced
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- 1 leaf bay
Add the lentils, water and bay leaf to medium size heavy pot. Bring to a boil and season with a good pinch of sea salt. Simmer uncovered for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through but still with an al dente texture. Drain in a colander and discard the bay leaf. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
Meanwhile slice the cucumbers into thin rounds or chop into squares to your liking.Add them to a salad bowl together with the tomatoes, dill, basil and parsley. Add the chilled lentils and drizzle over the top with the olive oil. Squeeze lemon juice on top to your liking and gently toss everything to coat well.
Taste as you go and adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt and extra lemon juice.
- To make this salad WFPB & Plantricious compliant make sure to completely omit the oil.
- For a Mediterranean twist replace the green onions with red, add some black olives and sprinkle with vegan feta cheese on top. (Violife makes the best block of plant based feta on the market).
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 37mg | Potassium: 980mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1000IU | Vitamin C: 43.3mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 5.1mg