Vegan Tomato Bruschetta
The Best Tomato Bruschetta Recipe Ever! A classic Italian appetizer made with grilled crusty bread rubbed with garlic, a light brush of olive oil and juicy heirloom tomatoes.
Servings 6 people
- 6 slices crusty bread (3/4 inch thick + preferably whole wheat)
- 1 batch Italian Heirloom Tomato Salsa
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed) -or as needed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 pinch sea salt flakes
Preheat a cast iron griddle or skillet over medium high flame. Grill the bread for a couple of minutes on each side until nice grill marks form but taking good care not to burn it. (Open windows, things will get a little smoky)
Rub one side of each slice of bread with a garlic cove to your liking, then use a little pastry brush to brush it with a thin layer of the olive oil. Repeat with all the sliced bread.
Sprinkle all the bruschetta with a pinch of coarse sea salt then spoon some of the Italian Tomato Salsa or chopped heirloom tomatoes over the top. Sprinkle with the fresh basil leaves and more sea salt flakes to taste. Mangia bene!
- The Bread - You must use a crusty loaf, baguette or ciabatta bread, preferably whole wheat but without any seeds or added herbs. Just plain, hearty, rustic bread, the kind that crackles in your hands when you squeeze it.
- Grill Baby Grill - To make the best authentic bruschetta it is imperative to grill the bread, do NOT toast it. A hot cast iron griddle or skillet works best here, make sure to preheat it well or you might just end up with a hard piece of bread and nobody wants that.
- Tomatoes - Choose the freshest, organic heirloom tomatoes you can get your hands on on making the Italian salsa. A mix of colorful cherry tomatoes looks lovely or just dice up a a couple of the large and juicy varieties and hit them with a squeeze of lemon to taste.
- Can you use canned tomatoes for bruschetta? - Just because you can doesn't mean you should. That is a NO, as in Negative my friends. Choose the fresh heirlooms forever ever, trust me!
Calories: 228kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 335mg | Potassium: 87mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 2.4mg