Tomato Onion Cucumber Salad
The best ever tomato onion cucumber salad recipe with basil and thyme tossed with a light Italian olive oil and vinegar dressing.
Servings 4 people
- 2 lb heirloom tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber (or 4 small Persian cucumbers )
- 6 green onions, red scallions or 1/2 cup red onion - sliced
- 2-3 tbsp red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt +more to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, dill or oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pinch black pepper - freshly cracked
In a large salad bowl whisk together the olive oil and vinegar. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Use a serrated knife and slice the tomatoes into wedges. Gently toss them with the salad dressing. Set aside and slice the cucumber and onion then add them to the salad. Toss again, taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt and vinegar until your taste buds are happy.
Sprinkle with the basil leaves, thyme and whatever edible blossoms you have around your garden. Allow the salad to sit at room temperature for at least 5 minutes for the tomatoes to release their juices and marry with all the other flavors.
WFPB Oil-Free Vinaigrette:
Calories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 307mg | Potassium: 718mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2395IU | Vitamin C: 42.4mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1.8mg