Vegan Tomato Gazpacho
The best tomato gazpacho recipe, a savory chilled soup perfect for scorching hot summer days, loaded with fresh garden flavors from heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs.
Servings 6 people
- 2.5 lb heirloom tomatoes
- 1 pint mini heirloom tomatoes ( for garnish )
- 1/2 English cucumber -peeled
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large shallot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 scallions -thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (omit on a WFPB oil-free diet)
- 1 red chili pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (chives, basil, parsley) -for garnish
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch sea salt flakes (for serving)
Dice the 2 1/2 pounds of heirloom tomatoes, the bell pepper, shallots and cucumber into large chunks. Add them to the bowl of a powerful blender or food processor together with the olive oil, vinegar and garlic. Process until smooth and silky.
Season to taste with sea salt and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until totally chilled.Ladle the gazpacho into bowls and garnish with sliced mini heirloom tomatoes, scallions and fresh herbs. Finish with a pinch of sea salt flakes.
- Can you use canned tomatoes for gazpacho ? NO, just don't do that, the magic of the gazpacho comes from the use of fresh seasonal vegetables specifically the tomatoes.
- Do I have to peel the tomatoes ? No you do not since everything will end up in the blender there's no need to make extra work for yourself.
- What are the best tomatoes for gazpacho ? Definitely heirloom tomatoes, they are the most fragrant, juicy and exquisite tomatoes!
Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 217mg | Potassium: 768mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3060IU | Vitamin C: 76mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1.1mg