Fresh Tomato Basil Pasta
Fresh tomato basil pasta recipe bruschetta style, made with juicy heirloom tomatoes, garlic, zesty lemon and fragrant basil.
Servings 4 people
- 1 lb heirloom tomatoes (mixed colors)
- 4 cloves garlic -grated
- 1 lemon
- 10 leaves basil +more to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (omit on a WFPB diet)
- 3/4 lb whole grain pasta (angel hair, spaghetti & linguine work best)
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add a good pinch of salt and stir in the pasta. Cook until al dente according to the directions on the package. Drain well and rinse with cold water.
Meanwhile rinse and chop your heirloom tomatoes into small dice. Add them to a large bowl together with all the juices. Grate the garlic cloves over the top and squeeze the juice from half a lemon. Season with pinch of sea salt.
Add the rinsed pasta to the bowl with the tomatoes and toss to coat well. Add the olive oil at this point or leave it out for an oil-free meal.
Taste and add more lemon juice and sea salt at this time if needed. Sprinkle with the fresh basil and serve.
- the olive oil in the recipe is totally optional, simply use extra lemon juice to replace it. I know many of you haven’t transitioned to 100% WFPB oil-free diet so you’ll still see me list olive oil in the ingredients at times. Learn to use less and less of it and you’ll enjoy food even more the way nature intended and your body will thrive.
Calories: 390kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 13mg | Potassium: 500mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1010IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 3.6mg