Sweet and Sour Tofu Recipe (Vegan)
Vegan Sweet and Sour Tofu, a super tasty and simple Thai dish made with crispy pan seared tofu cubes that are finished in a luscious sweet and sour sauce and vegetables.
Servings 4 people
- 14 oz block extra firm tofu (organic, drained and pressed)
- 2 bell peppers (your favorite colors)
- 3 scallions
- 4 tbsp tapioca flour
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 3.5 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1.5 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp brown sugar (agave or maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Prep the Tofu
Try to drain and press the tofu in advance. Use a cotton tea towel to pat it dry as best as you can. Slice it lengthwise and pat dry again. Continue cutting the tofu into small cubes and pat them dry some more. If prepping tofu in advance you can place it in the fridge at this point and allow to air dry overnight. This step will really help your tofu get extra crispy.
Just before cooking dust the tofu cubes with the tapioca and use your hands to toss it well to coat all over.
Air Fryer Method:
After pressing the tofu and tossing it in the tapioca place it on a parchment lined baking sheet or air fryer basket. Air fry between 375" and 400"F for 14 minutes flipping it half way. (If the tofu is well pressed the 375" temperature is perfect, otherwise air fry at 400"F). Add it to the pan with the sauce and vegetables and cook everything together until the sauce starts to thicken and tofu is nicely coated all over. Enjoy!
Cook the Veggies + Assemble your Dish
Cut the bell peppers and scallions into one inch pieces, discard the core from the peppers.
Add the peppers and scallions to the skillet together with a drizzle of oil (or a splash of water) and pinch of sea salt. Stir fry a few minutes until the peppers just begin to soften.
Pour the sweet and sour sauce over the peppers and bring to a simmer. Add the tofu and give it a good stir. Cook everything together until the sauce starts to thicken and tofu is nicely coated all over.
Serve hot over a bed of rice or tossed with soba or ramen noodles.
Tofu Cooking Methods
- Air Fryer Method: Air fry the pressed tofu for 15 minutes at 375"F for a healthy WFPB no oil alternative.
- Oven Method: Follow the exact recipe below, only instead of pan searing the tofu you are going to bake it at 400”F on a parchment lined baking sheet for about 25 minutes (or until golden) tossing it half way. Meanwhile prepare the sauce and toss everything together.
- Pan Fry - heat up a cast iron skillet and add just enough oil to coat the bottom so nothing sticks. Pan sear the tofu cubes until golden on all sides. Toss with the sweet and sour sauce.
Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 377mg | Potassium: 349mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 2056IU | Vitamin C: 78mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 2mg