Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Simple Vegan Cream of Mushroom soup recipe with silky coconut cream and loads of real sliced up baby bella mushrooms in the creamiest, silkiest, most flavorful broth ever. I can’t believe it’s vegan!
Servings 4 people
- 1.5 lb brown button mushrooms -sliced
- 1 sweet yellow onion -diced
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 qt veggie stock (low sodium & warm)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (or chickpea miso)
- 6-8 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves only)
- 1/3 cup fresh chives -snipped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley -chopped
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
Preheat a heavy bottom soup pot over medium flame. Add a splash of water (or a drizzle of olive oil or vegan butter), the onions, red pepper flakes and a pinch of sea salt. Toss to coat and sweat until translucent adding more water as needed taking care not to burn the onion.
Stir in the minced garlic and toss to coat. Add the sliced mushrooms, stir to combine then cover with a lid. Sweat everything together for a few minutes until the mushrooms start to wilt.
Pour in the white wine then add the thyme, onion powder, black pepper and nutritional yeast. Continue to simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
Sprinkle in the flour and toss to coat then add the veggie stock. Stir to mix well and use a whisk to combine well. Bring back to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes until the soup has thickened.
Add the coconut cream and cook one more minute or so.
Remove the soup from heat and add the fresh parsley and chives. Taste and adjust seasonings at this point with more sea salt, black pepper and chili flakes to your liking. Serve hot with extra herbs for garnish.
- The nutritional yeast can be replaced with equal amounts of chickpea miso if desired and you won’t sacrifice any of the flavor. Make sure to whisk it into the veggie stock before adding it to the soup.
- To make it gluten free replace the whole wheat flour with equal amounts of chickpea or rice flour.
- The soup will continue to thicken as it cools down but it will thin out again upon reheating. If you prefer it thinner at this point just stir in a splash of veggie stock.
Calories: 152kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 970mg | Potassium: 791mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 965IU | Vitamin C: 15.6mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 2mg