Vegan Cheesy Cauliflower Cashew Soup
The best vegan cauliflower soup recipe ever! Extra creamy, cheesy and silky like a dream, made with cashews, potatoes and nutritional yeast, gluten free and you don’t even need to roast anything.
Servings 6 people
- 1 large cauliflower -cut into florets
- 1 carrot -diced
- 1 small yellow onion -diced
- 1 rib celery -chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 3 medium golden potatoes -cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 6-8 cups vegetable stock (loe sodium)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 leaf bay
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger (or 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger root)
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon cut into wedges for serving OPTIONAL
In a large pot over medium heat add a splash of veggie stock or water, the onion and a pinch of sea salt. Saute for a few minutes until translucent.
Stir in the carrot and celery and add more water if needed. Continue cooking about 5 minutes until softened.
Add the garlic, cauliflower, potatoes, cashews, thyme and bay leaf and toss everything to coat.
Pour in the veggie stock and bring to a simmer. Stir in the nutritional yeast, turmeric and ginger and cook about 15 to 20 minutes until all vegetables are soft. Discard bay and thyme sprigs.
Transfer to a powerful blender and puree until silky smooth (work in batches). Adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt and serve garnished with the chives and the lemon wedges.
- You can omit the cashews if you prefer and add 1-2 cups of cashew milk instead, reduce the veggie stock by the same amount. It’s way silkier and creamier with the cashews tough.
- Make sure to use a powerful blender like the Vitamix when pureeing the soup or it might end up grainy instead of silky.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 969mg | Potassium: 719mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2275IU | Vitamin C: 32.2mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 4.8mg