The best vegan Paella recipe with mushrooms, artichokes, roasted peppers, plant based sausage and brown rice cooked in a flavorful Spanish saffron and white wine broth.
Servings 4 people
- 2 cups brown rice , rinsed well
- 2 links Vegan Beyond Meat Italian Sausage or Soy Chorizo (omit for WFPB & Plantricious diets)
- 3/4 lb shiitake mushroom caps or wild chanterelles ,sliced
- 15 oz canned artichoke hearts (quartered or sliced into rounds )
- 4 roasted red peppers , sliced or diced
- 1 Spanish onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock , low sodium
- 1 pinch saffron
- 8 sprins fresh thyme , leaves only
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley , chopped
- 1 lemon , quartered
- 1/2 cup pitted olives or capers (OPTIONAL)
Warm up the vegetable stock. Lightly crush the saffron in between your fingertips and add it to the warm broth. Season to taste with sea salt then allow it to steep while you work on the paella.
Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium low flame and pan sear the Beyond sausages until golden on all sides. (You shouldn’t have to add any oil here but if you do just use a light spray). Transfer to a plate and slice into 1/3 inch slices.
In the same skillet you cooked the sausage add half of the onion. Saute until translucent then stir in the brown rice, smoked paprika, chili pepper and garlic powder. Cook for a minute or so then hit it with half of the wine. Cook until all the liquid has been absorbed.
Pour in the saffron broth over the rice and bring to a simmer. Add the bay leaf, cover with a lid then simmer on low flame for 45 minutes. NO STIRRING. Remove from heat and allow the rice to sit covered for another 10 minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
Meanwhile in a separate skillet add half of the chopped onion and a little pinch of sea salt with a little splash of water or stock. Saute until translucent then add the sliced shiitake mushrooms and thyme. Hit it with half of the white wine and cook down until reduced and the mushrooms have softened. Sir in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the artichoke hearts, roasted peppers and sliced sausage to the pan and mix.
Transfer to the pan with the cooked saffron rice and combine. Adjust seasonings and sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve hot with a fresh squeeze of lemon.
OPTIONAL: Garnish with sliced olives or capers.
- You can use a different rice here if you prefer just make sure to adjust the cooking times. White rice like the Callaspara or Bomba should be done in about 15 minutes + allow 10 minutes to steam with the lid on after removing from heat.
- To give your paella a seafood flavor add 1-2 teaspoons of dulse flakes to the saffron broth.
- To make this recipe WFPB or Plantricious omit the vegan sausage or replace it with more shiitake mushrooms. Sautee in a splash of veggie stock or white wine.
Calories: 552kcal | Carbohydrates: 93g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 945mg | Potassium: 728mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1915IU | Vitamin C: 64.8mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 4.2mg