Vegan Mushroom Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Healthy vegan mushroom lettuce wraps with lime peanut sauce, garlic, ginger and sesame. Made oil free and whole foods plant based compliant, a delicious DIY project better than PF Chang’s, super easy to make and also dairy and gluten free.
Servings 4 people
- 24 oz brown button mushrooms diced
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup peanuts chopped for garnish
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 head of lettuce green leaf or butter lettuce
- the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup tamari sauce gluten free
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or lime juice
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup to taste
- 1 tsp ground ginger or 1 inch grated ginger root
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 grated garlic clove
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of water, veggie stock or white wine and add the chopped mushrooms. Hit it with a small pinch of sea salt and saute the mushrooms until wilted and all liquid has evaporated. The mushrooms will start searing at this point, they should be perfect so remove from heat.
In a medium bowl whisk together the tamari with the peanut butter, vinegar, maple, ginger and garlic powder. Season to taste with the red pepper flakes and add more vinegar or lime if desired.
Pour the sauce over the cooked mushrooms and toss to coat well.
Rinse the lettuce leaves and fill with a good scoop pf the mushroom mixture. Serve with the chopped peanuts garnished with the scallions, cilantro and sesame seeds. Offer lime wedges on the side.
Calories: 209kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1681mg | Potassium: 896mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1680IU | Vitamin C: 7.1mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 3.2mg