Vegan Burger Patties
The best homemade vegan burger patties recipe with beets, brown rice and protein loaded soy curls or TVP crumbles. Easy, meaty and hearty, skip the oil and make it totally whole foods plant based compliant.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups soy curls or TVP crumbles
- 2 cups water hot
- 4-5 tbsp tapioca
- 2 tbsp olive oil (omit on WFPB & Plantricious diet)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or to taste
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tbsp smoke paprika or 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp roasted beets grated
- 1.5 tsp sea salt (smoked is ideal but optional)
- black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs + more as needed (whole wheat or panko)
- 5 tbsp wheat gluten (OPTIONAL - add this if you want the patties to be firmer and hold together the best on a grill).
In a mixing bowl combine the Soy Curls or TVP with the hot water and allow to soak for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain any wring out and excess water. Fluff with a work if using TVP.If using soy curls instead make sure to give them a buzz in the food processor after soaking, so that the texture is similar to that of TVP or the rice grains. You want a nice texture not powder.
Add the cooked brown rice and the soy to the bowl of a food processor together with the soy sauce, smoked paprika, beets and all the spices including the tapioca. Use the pulse button to gradually mix everything until combined. DO NOT over process, make sure to keep the nice texture in there, a few quick of pulses is enough.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and fold in the panko bread crumbs. (If you want an extra firm burger pattie that holds tighter together you also might wanna add the vital wheat gluten or or just up the bread crumbs until firm to your liking. You'll have to try both variations and see which one you like best.)
Wet or lightly oil your hands and form the mixture into patties. You can make 6 to 8 depending on how big you like them to be.
Pan sear each burger in a hot cast iron skillet for a couple of minutes on each side until golden brown. ( I sprayed my skillet with a little oil just enough to keep the burgers from sticking).
Alternatively you can cook them inside of a toaster oven and allow to cool off for a few minutes before serving or just throw them on a grill if making the wheat gluten ones.
How to Freeze the Veggie Patties:
- To make this recipe WFPB and Plantricious compliant make sure to omit the oil in the recipe and use soy curls not TVP.
- If you want an extra firm burger pattie that holds tighter together and is easily grillable, make sure to add the vital wheat gluten into the mix. I promise you won't even taste it but the texture will be perfect.
Serving: 1burger | Calories: 295kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 966mg | Potassium: 152mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 641IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 5mg