Barley Vegan Beef Stew Recipe
Hearty vegan beef stew with barley, tomatoes, veggies and beefy TVP or soy curls. Enjoy all the classic flavors of your favorite stew without any of the fat and cholesterol, an oil free plant based recipe loaded with protein, flavor and healthy carbs. No beef!
Servings 6 people
- 2 cups beefy TVP (use soy curls for WFPB & Plantricious)
- 1.5 cups barley pearled or hulled
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 carrots sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 celery ribs sliced
- 1 sprig rosemary or 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 leaves bay
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 10 cups vegetable stock (no salt)
- 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes lightly crushed
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- S & P to taste
Preheat a heavy bottom stock pot over medium heat. Add a splash of water or veggie stock and sautee the onion with a pinch of salt until translucent. Add the carrot and celery and cook a few more minutes until they begin to soften. (Add more liquid if needed to create more steam).
Add the garlic and give everything a good stir until the garlic is fragrant. Sir in the smoked paprika, chili powder, bay leaves and rosemary.
Add the beefy TVP or soy curls, barley, crushed tomatoes, veggie stock and nutritional yeast then bring everything to a simmer. Cook on medium low heat for 45 minutes to one hour until the barley is cooked through and the TVP has reached your desired tenderness.
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and the heat level with more chili powder or chili flakes. Stir in the fresh parsley and serve hot with crusty bread. (If you want to indulge with a drizzle of olive oil feel free to do so at this point, omit for Whole Food Plant Based and Plantricious diets).
- To make it 100% Plantricious & WFPB compliant make sure to use soy curls instead of TVP.
- If the stew turns out too thick for your liking just add more veggie stock to thin it out as desired.
Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 243mg | Potassium: 856mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 6393IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 204mg | Iron: 8mg