Vegan no Clam Chowder
Best vegan clam chowder soup with oyster mushrooms, golden potatoes and cashew cream in a kombu seaweed broth. The ultimate Boston style clamless chowder recipe from scratch, thick and creamy, easy to make, gluten and dairy free!
Servings 6 people
- 8-10 oz oyster mushrooms medley
- 4 cups golden potatoes cut into small dice
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic grated ( or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp dry white wine
- 4 cups kombu veggie stock (see recipe below)
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- chives or scallions for garnish
Kombu Veggie Stock
- 6 cups water
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 carrot cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 leaf bay
- 2 strips dried Kombu (sea vegetables mix or any dried seaweed)
- 3 tsp dulse flakes or to taste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric optional for color
If making your own stock start by bringing all the stock ingredients to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer away until the stock has concentrated and reduced to 4 cups. Strain and set aside or refrigerate until needed. (it can be made a couple of days in advance if needed). Alternatively feel free to use a store bought veggie broth and add some dulse flakes or any seaweed to it to create that ocean flavor.
Make the Cashew Heavy Cream
In a medium size stock pot add a splash of water or a little drizzle of olive oil (omit the oil for WFPB & Plantricious diets) and sautee the onion with a pinch of salt until translucent.
Add the garlic, oyster mushrooms and half of the fresh thyme and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with a tiny pinch of sea salt and hit it with the white wine. Cook until the mushrooms have wilted and the wine has evaporated. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
In the same pot you cooked the mushrooms add the diced celery, diced potatoes, bay leaf, the rest of the thyme, onion powder, nutritional yeast and veggie kombu broth. Season to taste with sea salt and bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes and celery have softened. Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs if they are woodsy.
Stir in the cashew cream. At this point if you would like your chowder to be thicker simply transfer 2 or 3 ladles into the blender and puree until smooth. Add it back into the pot and combine.
Add the sautéed oyster mushrooms into the chowder and adjust seasonings. Serve hot garnished with fresh thyme, chives and crusty bread or oyster crackers on the side.
- Both the cashew cream and Kombu stock can be made a couple of days in advance.
- If you aren’t a fan of mushrooms you can still make this chowder using chopped up hearts of palm instead.
- you can bump up the seafood flavor with more dulse flakes or use any seaweed to intensify the flavor your liking.
- If you want to get a little fancy you can add in some dissolved miso paste at the very end.
- Since there is no dairy involved this chowder soup freezes well, just remember to thaw out in the refrigerator before reheating.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 96mg | Potassium: 867mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1796IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 6mg