Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage ~ Corned Jackfruit
Easy one pot Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage for St. Patrick’s Day or simply put Corned Jackfruit with cabbage and potatoes. Plant based, gluten free and so incredibly delicious! Stove top and slow cooker recipe.
Servings 8 people
- 2 lb jackfruit pieces green unripe
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots sliced into rounds
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 small green cabbage (cut into small wedges, core discarded)
- 3 qt vegetable stock
- 3-4 tbsp pickling spices
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp mustard seeds optional
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 lb Yukon gold or red potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- fresh dill and cilantro for garnish
In a large heavy bottom dutch oven saute the onion, carrot and celery with a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes in a splash of veggie stock or a drizzle of olive oil until the onion is translucent. (Omit the oil for WFPB Plantricious diets).
Rinse the jackfruit pieces well and add them to the pot together with the vegetable stock, pickling spices, bay leaf, smoked paprika, mustard seeds, peppercorns, onion powder and a good pinch of sea salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
Add the potatoes and cabbage and continue simmering until both the potatoes and cabbage are cooked to your liking and the jackfruit is tender. Stir in the nutritional yeast and adjust seasonings to your taste with more sea salt and black pepper. For a richer more authentic flavor finish with a drizzle of olive oil. (Omit all oil to make the recipe WFPB & Plantricious compliant)
Serve hot garnished with fresh dill or cilantro, more chili flakes to your liking and nice piece of this crusty bread.
Slow Cooker Method:
Sautee the onion, carrot and celery in your slow cooker until softened. Add the rest of the ingredients including the spices (except the fresh herbs) and slow cook on high for 2 hours or until the jackfruit, potatoes and cabbage are tender. Serve garnished with the fresh herbs.
- It’s really important that you use young unripe jackfruit here. I love the organic vacuum sealed bulk bags I order from Amazon but you can use the canned variety packed in water Not syrup. Make sure to rinse it well before making the stew. Do not use ripe fresh jackfruit!
- Use a good veggie stock you love here, I like to make my own with whatever aromatics I have in the fridge at the moment, nothing goes to waste.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 77mg | Potassium: 967mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3102IU | Vitamin C: 58mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 5mg