Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese (Vegan +GF)
Easy creamy butternut squash mac and cheese that is vegan, gluten free, soy free and oil free. Ready in under the 30 minutes, made with whole food ingredients, perfect for a weeknight dinner or to grace your Thanksgiving holiday table.
Servings 4 people
- 1 lb butternut squash
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 ts dijon mustard
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp chickpea miso paste OPTIONAL
- 1 cup water from boiling the butternut squash
- 1 lb macaroni pasta cooked al dente according to the instructions on the box
If you don’t have a high powered blender make sure to soak the cashews in hot water for 20 minutes before making the sauce.
Bring a medium sauce pan filled with water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and the butternut squash. Cook until tender about 10 minutes or so. Reserve one cup of the water then drain.
To the bowl of powerful blender ( i used my Vitamix) add 3/4 cup of the reserved water, the cooked butternut squash, cashews, mustard, nutritional yeast, onion powder, turmeric and sea salt (+ miso paste if using). Blend on until silky smooth and creamy. Add more of the reserved water to thin out the sauce as desired.
Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box until al dente. Drain and toss with the butternut squash cheese sauce until coated all over.
- How can I thin out the sauce ? Use a splash of veggie stock or plain plant-based milk of your choosing if desired.
- How do I make this nut - free ? Simply replace the cashews in the recipe with a handful of sunflower seeds, sesame seeds or 1/4 cup of tahini.
- Can I skip the nutritional yeast ? Sure, you can leave it out altogether or replace it with 1 tablespoon of miso paste.
- Can I use coconut milk to make the sauce instead of water ? Of course, just keep in mind the coconut flavor will come through.
- Do I have to soak the cashews ? Not if you are using a high powered blender like the Vitamix. Otherwise make sure to soak them in hot water for 20 minutes before making the sauce.
Calories: 625kcal | Carbohydrates: 108g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 976mg | Potassium: 866mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 12054IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 4mg