Vegan Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe
Our favorite dark chocolate sheet cake recipe slathered with a rich chocolate frosting and dusted with a blanket of shredded coconut. A decadent and moist olive oil cake, no eggs, no dairy and totally vegan. Makes a great birthday cake and its ideal for bringing to a summer barbecue or holiday party.
Servings 12 people
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups warm coconut milk canned full fat
- 3/4 cup extra light olive oil
- 1.5 tsp vailla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter I used Miyokos’ European butter
- 1/3 cup coconut milk canned full fat
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder sifted
- 3.75 cups powdered sugar sifted
Make the Batter:
In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt) until combined.
In a separate bowl mix the warm coconut milk, olive oil and vanilla extract util combined. Pour over the dry ingredients.
Whisk everything together until a smooth batter is achieved. You could use a mixer if you wanted to but it isn’t necessary.
Line a 9 x 13 inch baking sheet / pan with parchment paper. ( any similar size sheet pan will work, just adjust the cooking times accordingly.
Pour the cake batter into the pan and give it a little shake to distribute evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If your sheet pan is wider and shallower than 9 X 13 make sure to check your cake for doneness at the 25 minute mark to make sure you don't overcook it.
Make the Frosting:
In a medium size sauce pan on medium low heat add the 1/2 cup of vegan butter + 1/3 cup coconut milk. Heat through until the butter is melted and whisk into the coconut milk. Add the cocoa powder and powdered sugar and continue whisking until a smooth creamy frosting is achieved.
Pour the chocolate frosting over the sheet cake and using a spatula make sure to spread it around evenly.
Sprinkle with the shredded coconut over the top or get creative with a few topping like fresh cherries, blackberries, nectarines or chocolate sprinkles.
1. line your pan with parchment paper so the cake doesn’t stick and you can easily slice it and serve it straight out of it.
2. the pan size: i used a 13 x 9 x2 inch sheet pan and found it perfectly fits with this recipe. I love a thick layer of frosting and extra moist cake. However you can adapt to whatever size sheet pan you have available, just remember to adjust the baking time. If your pan is very shallow (12X18) start checking for doneness at the 15 minute mark, your cake will be ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or nearly clean.
3. toppings ideas:
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup fresh cherries, blackberries, raspberries or nectarines
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate sprinkles
- chopped walnuts or hazelnuts.
Calories: 627kcal | Carbohydrates: 92g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 355mg | Potassium: 275mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 70g | Vitamin A: 360IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 3mg