Homemade Apple Pie Filling
Let one of the most classic flavors of fall do a dance on your tongue when you create this homemade Apple Pie Filling. Freshly sliced granny smith apples, cinnamon, and vegan butter are cooked down to create a delicious recipe. Quick, easy, and perfect for many uses other than just pie and Thanksgiving dinner!
Servings 4 people
- 4 granny smith apples or your favorite kind
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1/2 tbsp tapioca
- add ins suggestions: a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
Peel the apples, dice into 1/2 inch pieces and squeeze the lemon all over the top. Discard the peel and the core.
Preheat a medium sauce pan over low flame and melt the vegan butter.
Add the diced apples, cinnamon, sugar and tapioca. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover with a lid and allow to stew together until the apples have softened to your liking and the sugar has melted and turning the consistency of caramel.
At this point you can add a little drop of vanilla extract or nutmeg if desired. Remove from heat.
Serve hot topped with your favorite dairy-free ice-cream. Alternatively you can bake this into 1 pie sprinkled with some vegan streusel topping.
The filling is enough to make one 8-inch pie, you can use a homemade or store-bought crust.
How to Can Apple Pie Filling?
- To can the apple filling, you’ll need to prepare the water bath canner and sterilize the jars plus lids. Use a large funnel and paddle the filling into the jars leaving 1.5 inches of space at the top.
- Wipe any filling from around the mouth of the jars. Place the lids on and then screw until tight. Process in the canner for 25 minutes.
- Transfer jars to a cooling rack or a towel and allow them to cool off completely. Check your lids to make sure a proper seal was formed the next day, they should not pop up when touched or pushed down on.
Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 48mg | Potassium: 232mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 366IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg