Vegan Broccoli Casserole
Vegan Broccoli Casserole recipe - take that classic holiday side dish and make it cruelty free this Thanksgiving. This dish has alluring steamed broccoli and tantalizing sauteed mushrooms, bathed in a cashew milk sauce. Top it with crispy onions, bread crumbs, or even crackers for the perfect final touch to the perfect side dish.
Servings 4 people
- 1 lb broccoli florets or you can mix half broccoli + half cauliflower
- 3/4 lb oyster mushrooms chanterelles, trumpet or shiitakes
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2.25 cups cashew milk
- 2 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour or gluten free flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2.5 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- crispy onions, salty crackers, panko bread crumbs, corn flakes cereal, smoky tempeh etc...
Steam or boil the broccoli florets until al dente, not mushy. Set aside.
In a medium size skillet sautee the onion with a drizzle of olive oil until translucent (or a splash of water for WFPB + Plantricious compliance).
Add the mushrooms and a pinch of sea salt and continue cooking until thy start to wilt. Add the white wine and thyme, turn up the heat and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Meanwhile In a small bowl or a blender mix together the cashew milk, flour, nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powder and sea salt until combined without any lumps. Add the mixture to the pan with the mushrooms and stir to combine.
Simmer for a few minutes until thick and creamy. Add the cooked broccoli and combine.
Transfer the mushroom broccoli mixture to a broiler proof casserole dish and top with your choice of crispy onions, saltine crackers or pano bread crumbs. Broil for a couple of minutes until golden brown to your liking on top. Serve hot with my Thanksgiving Wild rice and olive oil mashed potatoes!
- Storage - Store in an airtight container inside the fridge for up to 3 days. Store in the same type of container in the freezer for up to one month.
- Reheating - Reheat this dish by placing it in an oven-safe dish and cooking until heated through. You can also use the microwave for a quicker option.
- WFPB + Plantricious compliance - Use water in place of the oil for this type of compliance.
- Topping Suggestions - There are quite a few toppings you could use for your broccoli casserole. Some of my favorites are crispy onions, salty crackers, pan bread crumbs, corn flake cereal, etc.
- Add soy curls - These are a great way to add more protein to the recipe. They also function as a nice vegan chicken option.
- More add-ins - You can add in cooked rice such as brown or wild rice, farro, quinoa, or even vegan cheese to “beef” it up even further.
- Make it gluten-free - You can swap out the flour for rice flour or chickpea flour to make this entirely gluten-free.
Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 437mg | Potassium: 840mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 819IU | Vitamin C: 106mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 3mg