Best Red Salsa Recipe
Easy and healthy, the best salsa recipe ever, ready in 5 minutes, made with sweet San Marzano tomatoes ( or the fire roasted variety) plus an authentic touch of cumin.
Servings 4 people
- 28 oz canned whole San Marzano tomatoes (drained of all the juices)
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 red onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - large & grated
- 1 jalapeno pepper - sliced (to your taste)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin or to taste
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika ( or to taste)
- 1 large lime - juiced
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
Add the red onion, scallions, garlic and jalapeño to the bowl of a food processor. Give it a buzz or two until chopped.
Add the tomatoes Without juices, spices and cilantro on top and pour in the lime juice.
Very carefully press the pulse button a few quick times making sure you don’t over chop the salsa. (Alternately you can chop everything by hand for a chunky version)
Transfer to a bowl and taste seasonings. Add more lime and sea salt as desired. At this point you can add the reserved tomatoes juices if you are wanting a thinner consistency. Add more smoked paprika for a deeper smokier flavor.
- The recipe calls for sweet San Marzano tomatoes, you are free of course to use the fire roasted variety or whatever canned tomatoes you have in the pantry but i don't guarantee the wow factor.
- Make sure to use Sweet Smoked Paprika not the bitter variety that could easily overpower the rest of the salsa flavors.
- To make the salsa less spicy omit the chile pepper.
Calories: 62kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Sodium: 319mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1845IU | Vitamin C: 10.7mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 1.8mg