Best Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
The best Vegan Mozzarella cheese that melts, browns, stretches and is insanely creamy like the finest Mozzarella di Bufala you have ever had. Perfect for Caprese salad, pizza and any pasta bake.
Servings 6 people
- 2 cups cashew milk (or full fat canned coconut milk)
- 1/3 cup firm tofu crumbled
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil
- 3 tbsp tapioca
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp agar agar
- 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- optional: for a smoked version simply add about 1-2 tsp liquid smoke into the mix
To a powerful blender add the cashew milk, tofu, coconut oil, tapioca, agar, nutritional yeast, yeast and garlic powde. Process until smooth and creamy.
Transfer the cheese mixture to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer whisking often. Cook for approximately 5 to 10 minutes until tick and creamy.
Transfer the cheese mixture to lightly oiled ramekins or lidded glass containers and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours or overnight. (To make nice round mozzarella balls use large round silicone ice cube trays, no need to oil those at all. I used a measuring spoon to scoop out little balls once set).
- How to shred vegan mozzarella: - To properly shred this cheese, you’ll need to freeze it for about 15 minutes first. You can shred it without freezing it, but it’s not as easy to accomplish.
- Make it smoky - For a little bit of a different and seductively smoky flavor, you can add in about 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke when blending. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and work your way up from there. If the smoky flavor is too strong, reduce the amount of liquid smoke used next time.
- Make mozzarella balls - Simply use a silicone ball mold to make some tasty mozzarella balls like you see at the store. You don’t have to oil the silicone molds, so you’re good to skip that part. Alternatively just use a measuring spoon and scoop out little balls once the cheese has set in the fridge.
Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 443mg | Potassium: 47mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg