Creamy Sweet Potato Kale Soup
Vegan, creamy sweet potato kale soup with silky coconut milk. Healthy, vegetarian, paleo, dairy and gluten-free. Use a splash of water instead of olive oil to make this 100% whole-food plant-based as well.
Servings 4 people
- 1 bunch kale -chopped
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 1 large sweet potato -diced
- 1 onion -diced
- 1 carrot -diced
- 4 cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut or cashew milk -organic
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro - roughly chopped + more for garnish
- 1 leaf bay
- 1 green chili pepper -sliced + some for garnish
- 1 pinch sea salt -to taste
- 1 drizzle water (or olive oil)
Heat up a medium dutch oven pot over low flame. Add the onion, carrot and sliced chili pepper with a splash of water (or a drizzle of olive oil) and sautee 5 minutes until softened.
Stir in the sweet potatoes, kale leaves and bay, then pour in the water or vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes have softened.
Stir in the baby spinach and chopped bunch of cilantro and simmer another minute or so, just until wilted. Taste and season with the sea salt. Discard the bay leaf.
Add the cashew or coconut milk then carefully transfer the soup to a powerful blender and puree until smooth. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender to puree the soup to your liking. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt at this point if needed.
Ladle into bowls and serve garnished with cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds and more chili pepper for heat.OPTIONAL: Garnish with a drizzle of coconut cream for effect.
- The sweet potatoes can be replaced with butternut squash or pumpkin.
- If you prefer a chunky version of this soup just skip the blending step, and feel free to load it up with extra goodies like quinoa, lentils or chickpeas.
- To make the soup WFPB & Plantricious compliant make sure to use veggie broth or water instead of oil.
Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 231mg | Potassium: 990mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 21105IU | Vitamin C: 76.2mg | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 3.9mg