Vegan Potato Flatbread
Easiest vegan potato flatbread recipe made without yeast. This is the chameleon of flatbreads, it can be used in place of tortillas, burger buns, as wraps in Gyros or Souvlaki, as pita bread to dip in creamy hummus, naan, pupusas and even as a mini pizza crust.
Servings 16 flatbreads
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or your flour of choice
- sea salt to taste
- chives rosemary, scallions (optional)
In a large bowl combine the flour and mashed potatoes until a nice dough forms that is easy to handle. Depending on how wet your mashed potatoes were you might need to sprinkle a little extra flour in there.
Sprinkle a little flour on your kitchen counter and place the dough on top. Use the palm of your hands to roll it out into a long log. Use a serrated knife to cut the log into 14-16 pieces depending on how small you like to make your flatbreads.
Sprinkle some more flour on each individual piece of dough and use the palm of you hand to flatten it. At this point use a rolling pin to roll them out as thin as you like without tearing them.
Meanwhile preheat a seasoned cast iron skillet or griddle on medium-low heat and cook the flatbread for a couple of minutes or so on each side until done to your liking. We prefer little charred spots on ours for crunch and a little smokiness.
Transfer the cooked flatbreads to a tea towel lined plate and wrap them nicely to keep warm and soft. Serve with your favorite soups as stews, make tacos, wraps, burritos etc...
WFPB + Plantricious Compliance
How to Keep them Soft:
- Add one teaspoon baking powder to the dough + 1/3 cup sliced scallions for a savory scallion pancake. Might wanna cook this version in a little olive oil or plant based butter.
- One chopped up caramelized leek mixed into the dough is so next level.
- Add one teaspoon garlic powder or a sprinkling of sesame or hemp seeds into the mix.
WFPB + Plantricious Compliance:
- Line a plate with a tea towel and pile up your flatbreads as you cook them. Wrap in the towel to keep warm and soft.
- Make sure the mashed potatoes you use to make the flatbreads do not contain any oil or dairy.
Calories: 78kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 8mg | Potassium: 137mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg