Easy Chickpea Stew
Easy Chickpea Stew with Tomato and Morrocan Flair.
Servings 6 people
- 1 leek - sliced and rinsed
- 3 cups chickpeas
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 bell pepper - cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 carrots - cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp ginger root - grated
- 2 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 strips lemon peel
- 5 dates - pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 qt water + more as needed
- 4 leaves chard (or 1/2 lb baby spinach) - stems chopped & leaves sliced
- 1 tsp pepper flakes + more to your taste
- 5 tbsp hemp hearts - for serving
- 2 tsp olive oil or a splash of water (optional)
- 1 pinch sea salt -to taste
- 1 lemon
Preheat a large heavy bottom pot over medium low flame. Add the leeks with a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water and sautee for 5 minutes until wilted.
Stir in the carrots, bell pepper, chard stems and dates then toss to coat.
Sprinkle with the paprika, red pepper flakes, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon and give everything a good stir. Cook for about a minute until you can smell all the spices.
Stir in the ginger and garlic together with the lemon peel and tomato paste and a good sprinkling of sea salt.
Add the chickpeas and the water and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook on medium low flame for 1.5 to 2 hours until the chickpeas are softened to your liking.
Taste the stew and adjust seasoning with sea salt and a good squeeze of lemon. Stir in the fresh chard chard leaves. Serve with lemon wedges and sprinkled with the hemp seeds for added protein.
- Depending on weather or not you soaked the chickpeas you might need to add more liquid to the stew.
- If using canned chickpeas then only cook them for about 20 minutes until just warmed through.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 8g | Sodium: 171mg | Potassium: 649mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 6820IU | Vitamin C: 50.7mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 6mg