Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
The best vegan sweet potato lentil soup, bursting with Mexican flavors from fire roasted tomatoes, smoked paprika, cumin and a mix of Mexican seasonings.
Servings 6 people
- 1 yellow onion -diced
- 6 cloves garlic -minced
- 2 cups green lentils -rinsed
- 2 large sweet potatoes -cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots -sliced into thin rounds
- 15 oz canned fire roasted tomatoes -diced
- 2 tbsp Mexican seasonings -salt free
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5-1 tsp cumin -to taste
- 1.5 tsp red pepper flakes
- 9 cups veggie stock or water (low sodium)
- 2 leaves bay
- 10 sprig thyme
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 1/2 cup Cilantro leave
- 1 lime -optional, for serving
- 1.5 tsp sea salt +more to taste
Heat up a large heavy dutch oven over medium low flame. Add the onion and carrot with a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water. Add a pinch of sea salt and sautee for 5 minutes.
Stir in the red pepper flakes, garlic, Mexican seasonings, smoked paprika, cumin and sea salt and toss to coat well.
Add the bay leaves, thyme, lentils, sweet potatoes and tomatoes. Pour in the veggie stock or water and bring to a steady simmer. Partially cover with a lid and cook for about 15 to 25 minutes until the lentils and potatoes are cooked through.
Discard the thyme sprigs and bay, taste and adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt. Serve with the fresh cilantro on top and lemon wedges on the side.
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1574mg | Potassium: 896mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 10965IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 7.3mg