Tofu, a truly magical food loaded with protein, low in fat and in calories. It can be baked, air fried, scrambled, sautéed or eaten straight out of the container. And the great news is: tofu is truly delicious!
What is Tofu Made Of ?
Tofu is made from the curds of soy milk, the same process as making milk only using soy milk. So technically tofu is soy cheese. The curds are simply pressed int blocks with different textures: soft, firm and extra-firm.
What Does Tofu Taste Like ?
Tofu is one of those magical foods that will taste like whatever you want it to taste like. Honestly it is like a sponge ready to absorb whatever you coat it in.
Can You Eat Raw Tofu ?
You can definitely eat tofu straight out of the package if you like.
Is Tofu Bad for Men ?
Absolutely NOT. Soy does not lower or raise a man’s testosterone levels. Check out some of the latest in scientific research on the subject on Nutrition Facts.
Can You Lose Weight Eating Tofu ?
Considering that a half cup of tofu only contains about 94 colories, it can really help with your weight-loss plan. It is important that you stay away from oils and enjoy the tofu baked or air fried as many of the recipes in this collection suggest.
How To Press and Prepare Tofu:
- Because tofu is packed in water it must be drained first then patted dry with a lint free kitchen towel.
- Slice it into one inch slices and place it on a towel lined plate.
- Layer with another clean tea towel and top with a flat cutting board.
- Place a heavy cast iron skillet or pot on top and allow to press for at least 30 minutes. The goal is to press as much water out of it as possible.
- Once pressed, cut the tofu into cubes, rectangles, triangles or stick or use your hands to tear it into irregular bite size pieces.
How to Bake Tofu:
- Start with extra firm tofu, prep and press it as instructed above. Coat the tofu with a light spray of olive oil, a light dusting of tapioca or cornstarch and a good pinch of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders and in my case smoked paprika.
- Place on a parchment covered baking sheet preferably without touching each other in one single layer.
- Bake the seasoned tofu in a preheated oven at 400”F for 30 to 35 minutes until golden and crispy to your liking flipping it half way.
How To Air Fry Tofu:
- Use firm or extra firm tofu, prep and press as instructed above.
- Using your fingers gently tear the tofu into bite size pieces and toss with a light dusting of tapioca, salt and pepper.
- Place on a parchment lined air fryer tray in a single layer and air fry for at 375”F for 15 minutes until golden. (You can flip it to half way if desired but not necessary).
- At this point you can add it to your favorite sauces following the step by step recipes in this collection. Some of my favorites include this Orange Tofu, Peanut Tofu with Noodles and Sweet and Sour Tofu. Hope you give them a try!
How to Scramble Tofu:
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium high flame. Add a light drizzle of oil and the pressed tofu pieces.
- Using a flat end wooden spoon break it up / scramble into small pieces. Add your favorite seasonings like turmeric, garlic and onion powders, oregano, smoked paprika, black salt or your favorite sauces.
- Cook a few minutes until the tofu scramble is coated all over and it has absorbed some of the sauce.
- Allow to cook longer to achieve crispiness around the edges. The more self control you can master here and not touch the pan the crisper the tofu scramble is going to get. You can use it to top a salad, in quesadillas, tacos or spoon over rice and beans bowls.
What Kind Of Tofu Should I Use ?
- Silken Tofu is the softest of all and it is best eaten straight out of the container or used in desserts.
- Firm Tofu has the ideal texture for soups like this Miso Noodle Soup and these Ramen Noodles.
- Extra Firm Tofu has the best texture for baking, pan frying and air frying.