Simple Avocado Tomato Salad
Avocado and tomato salad with olive oil lime dressing, onion and cilantro.
Servings 6 people
- 4 California avocados (ripe but firm)
- 4 heirloom tomatoes -mixed variety
- 2 purple spring onions (or 1 small red onion)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 chili pepper -thinly sliced
- 1 lime -cut into wedges
- 2 Persian cucumbers -sliced (optional)
- 3 limes -juicy
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Omit on WFPB & Plantricious diets)
- 1 pinch sea salt (or to taste)
Slice the tomatoes and avocados into thin wedges and place in a large salad bowl together with the cucumbers if using those. If using cherry tomatoes make sure to cut those in half and chop the avocado into similar sizes.
Slice the purple onions into thin rounds or slices and add them to the salad bowl together with the cilantro leaves and chili peppers.
Make the Lime Dressing:
In a separate bowl whisk together the lime juice with the olive oil until incorporated. (omit the olive oil on WFPB diets).Season to taste with the sea salt. Adjust seasonings until your taste buds are doing the happy dance and pour it over the avocado salad. Gently toss to coat all over, preferably without mashing the avocado. * Plantricious WFPB Note* To make this recipe compliant make sure to omit the oil completely, no need to replace with anything at all.
- Prepare your salad right before you are about to sit down at the table to eat it. Sliced avocados don’t keep well at all, they start to oxidize and turn brown pretty quickly so the freshest the better. Hit them with a squeeze of lime as soon as you cut them, but only toss with the tomatoes and onions just before plating.
- The avocados have plenty of fat so you can totally omit using oil in the dressing. As soon as you squeeze the lime over the top a silky emulsion will take place that will coat the salad perfectly. The olive oil just makes it richer but absolutely not necessary.
Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 25mg | Potassium: 1103mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1100IU | Vitamin C: 54.5mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 1.6mg