Submerge yourself in the lure of a fresh and invigorating dish with this Avocado Tomato Salad. Swoon at the seduction of rich, heirloom tomatoes, creamy avocados, and a splash of lime juice. Add a dab of fresh cilantro and lose yourself in every bite.
The Ultimate Avocado Tomato Salad!
Don’t get me started on heirloom tomatoes. I lose myself in what seems like a love story meant for the greatest of romance novels. There’s nothing that compares to their rich and inviting flavor. They knock your average store-bought tomatoes out of the water.
Other than this tantalizing avocado salad, I use heirloom tomatoes in as many recipes as I possibly can. To name a few, Fresh Heirloom Tomato Sauce, Italian Balsamic Tomatoes, Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup, and so on. Every bite is like a dream with heirloom tomatoes in the picture.
Be sure that you use all fresh ingredients to make this salad really sing. Dry ingredients or stored ingredients are fine, but you’ll never go back if you make it with the freshest of ingredients. Never be scared to swap out or add in other fresh veggies and herbs. You may just stumble upon your new favorite combination.
Avocado Tomato Salad Ingredients:
- California Avocados
- Heirloom Tomatoes
- Purple Spring Onion
- Persian Cucumbers
- Fresh Lime
- Fresh Cilantro
- Chili Pepper
Of course, the great thing about an avocado salad like this, is the fact that you can customize it how you like. For example, you can add some vegan mozzarella to make it an avocado tomato mozzarella salad. You could also add some summer veggies to make it a summer avocado salad.
You can also eat it without the lime dressing. You can alway adjust the lime dressing to be oil free, turn it into lemon dressing, etc. Feel free to play with the recipe to make it your own.
How Do You Make Avocado Salad?
- Slice – Chop or slice the veggies and herbs. Add them to a large bowl.
- Make the dressing – Whisk the dressing ingredients thoroughly.
- Combine – Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat. Enjoy!
- Cucumbers or Radishes
- Vegan Mozzarella or Feta Cheese (I love Violife)
- Pink Grapefruit
- Fresh Basil
- Arugula + Baby Lettuce Greens
- Vegan Bacon Bits
- Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- Grilled Corn + Crunchy Jicama.
- Is tomato and avocado salad good for you? – It’s amazing for you! Especially if you use the sexiest tomatoes in the world…heirloom. I’m telling you, you’ll never go back if you try them. Both tomatoes and avocados have loads of nutrients, vital to the body’s daily needs.
- What goes well with tomato salad? – There are too many great pairings to list when it comes to tomato salad. To keep the list short, some of my favorites are Vegan Ribs, Black Bean Soup, Paprika Potatoes, Unstuffed Cabbage Soup,Vegan Fried chick’n, etc.
- Is avocado salad keto? – This one is definitely a keto salad! All of the ingredients used are keto-friendly without even trying. There are many perks to eating fresh and falling in love with it.
- About the salad dressing – You can use lemon in place of the lime. Adding basil to the dressing would be a delicious and aromatic addition.
- Is this tomato salad Plantricious or WFPB compliant? – In order to make this fresh salad recipe compliant, you’ll want to remove any oil in the recipe. No need to replace it with anything, the fat from the avocado will work miracles here.
- Can you make an avocado salad ahead of time? – I don’t suggest it, especially because sliced avocados oxidize quickly and don’t keep well at all. It’s best if eaten right after you make it.
More Salad Recipes:
P.S. As always, If you make this recipe please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram, it always brightens up my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
Simple Avocado Tomato Salad
- 4 California avocados (ripe but firm)
- 4 heirloom tomatoes -mixed variety
- 2 purple spring onions (or 1 small red onion)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 chili pepper -thinly sliced
- 1 lime -cut into wedges
- 2 Persian cucumbers -sliced (optional)
- 3 limes -juicy
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Omit on WFPB & Plantricious diets)
- 1 pinch sea salt (or to taste)
- Slice the tomatoes and avocados into thin wedges and place in a large salad bowl together with the cucumbers if using those. If using cherry tomatoes make sure to cut those in half and chop the avocado into similar sizes.
- Slice the purple onions into thin rounds or slices and add them to the salad bowl together with the cilantro leaves and chili peppers.
Make the Lime Dressing:
- In a separate bowl whisk together the lime juice with the olive oil until incorporated. (omit the olive oil on WFPB diets).Season to taste with the sea salt. Adjust seasonings until your taste buds are doing the happy dance and pour it over the avocado salad. Gently toss to coat all over, preferably without mashing the avocado.
- * Plantricious WFPB Note* To make this recipe compliant make sure to omit the oil completely, no need to replace with anything at all.
- Prepare your salad right before you are about to sit down at the table to eat it. Sliced avocados don’t keep well at all, they start to oxidize and turn brown pretty quickly so the freshest the better. Hit them with a squeeze of lime as soon as you cut them, but only toss with the tomatoes and onions just before plating.
- The avocados have plenty of fat so you can totally omit using oil in the dressing. As soon as you squeeze the lime over the top a silky emulsion will take place that will coat the salad perfectly. The olive oil just makes it richer but absolutely not necessary.