The Ultimate Avocado Tomato Salad!
Like the most delicious fresh salsa you’ve ever had, only not chopped but instead sliced in beautiful thick pieces that show off its simple rustic beauty. Add some cucumbers into the mix for a refreshing crunch, it makes for a really nice addition.
Easy. Tasty. Healthy. Vegan.
This is probably one of my most favorite things to make with those big, weirdly shaped heirloom tomatoes all summer long. A mix of colorful cherry or grape tomatoes works nice too, just do your best to cut both the avocado and tomatoes in similar sizes.
I also prefer my salad with a little attitude, so I throw a spicy red chili in there but make sure to adjust the amount of heat in the recipe to your preference. Be mindful when feeding this to children of course.
add in suggestions:
cucumbers or radishes
vegan mozzarella or feta cheese (I love Violife)
fresh basil, baby lettuce greens /arugula
vegan bacon bits
marinated artichoke hearts
grilled corn & jicama.
about the salad dressing:
- You can use lime or lemon to make your dressing, being that I’m going for a Latin vibe I chose lime and cilantro. Go with lemon and basil for an Italian flair.
- Freshly squeezed lemon and some fragrant basil leaves would be a really nice addition.
- The olive oil is totally optional, as a matter of fact I’ve been making this vinaigrette oil free and Plantricious for quite some time now. The fats in the avocado are more than enough to create a naturally luscious and healthier dressing.
what to serve with:
P.S. As always, If you make this recipe please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram, it always brightens up my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
how to make avocado tomato salad video:
Simple Avocado Tomato Salad
- 4 California avocados (ripe but firm)
- 4 heirloom tomatoes -mixed variety
- 2 purple spring onions (or 1 small red onion)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 chili pepper -thinly sliced
- 1 lime -cut into wedges
- 2 Persian cucumbers -sliced (optional)
- 3 limes -juicy
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Omit on WFPB & Plantricious diets)
- 1 pinch sea salt (or to taste)
- Slice the tomatoes and avocados into thin wedges and place in a large salad bowl together with the cucumbers if using those. If using cherry tomatoes make sure to cut those in half and chop the avocado into similar sizes.
- Slice the purple onions into thin rounds or slices and add them to the salad bowl together with the cilantro leaves and chili peppers.
Make the Lime Dressing:
- In a separate bowl whisk together the lime juice with the olive oil until incorporated. (omit the olive oil on WFPB diets).Season to taste with the sea salt. Adjust seasonings until your taste buds are doing the happy dance and pour it over the avocado salad. Gently toss to coat all over, preferably without mashing the avocado.
- * Plantricious WFPB Note* To make this recipe compliant make sure to omit the oil completely, no need to replace with anything at all.
- When adding avocado into the mix there is enough fat to make a silky rich dressing by simply tossing it with the lime juice and the tomatoes so feel free to omit the oil if desired.
- Prepare your salad right before you are about to sit down at the table to eat it. Sliced avocados don’t keep well at all, they start to oxidize and turn brown pretty quickly so the freshest the better. Hit them with a squeeze of lime as soon as you cut them, but only toss with the tomatoes and onions just before plating.