‘Tis the Season for Salted Caramel Sauce!
The Sea Salt Flakes:
I got a little festive here and used my fancy Fleur de Sel flakes. Absolutely not really necessary, use whatever sea salt you have right now in the pantry, just don’t use the extra coarse grains because you won’t like biting into one.
How to Make Salted Vegan Caramel Sauce:
- Whisk together coconut cream and your favorite sugar, i prefer brown or coconut sugar but any vegan sugar will do.
- Simmer on low heat until thick and creamy, then whisk in a touch of vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt flakes to elevate all the flavors. NO Candy Thermometer required!
- Drizzle over everything!
What to Drizzle Your Salted Vegan Caramel Sauce Over:
- crisp apples
- vanilla ice cream
- these Christmas snowball cookies
- “caramel macchiato”
- this pumpkin pie
- these mini raw pumpkin cheesecakes.
How to Store Salted Caramel:
- After it has cooled down caramel can be stored in a glass jar or container in the refrigerator up to one month.
- Caramel can also be frozen up to 3 months, just remember to thaw it out in the refrigerator before warming up.
This recipe sure is, it’s really simple to use coconut cream instead of dairy to get an amazing cruelty-free caramel sauce. Let’s do this!
Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce
- In a medium sauce pan whisk together the sugar and coconut cream. Bring to a simmer on medium low heat.
- Simmer the caramel for 45 minutes until reduced and creamy. Make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t spill over on your stovetop.
- After 40 minutes have passed dip a teaspoon in the caramel sauce and place on a small plate. Allow to cool off completely. If the consistency of the caramel is to your liking remove from heat, otherwise continue cooking another 10 minutes or so until desired consistency is achieved. (Remember the caramel will continue to harden in the refrigerator as well).
- Remove the caramel sauce from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and sea salt flakes.
- Store in the refrigerator up to one week.
- Serve drizzled over your favorite vegan ice cream, pies or dip apple slices for the ultimate tasty treat.