Homemade vegan salted caramel sauce with vanilla and coconut cream. Only 4 ingredients, lusciously creamy, easy to make and perfect drizzled over all your favorite desserts: Christmas cookies, pies, cakes and bowls of ice cream!
‘Tis the Season for Salted Caramel Sauce!
Let’s make it vegan!
The Sea Salt Flakes:
I got a little festive here and used my fancy Fleur de Sel flakes. Absolutely not really necessary, use whatever sea salt you have right now in the pantry, just don’t use the extra coarse grains because you won’t like biting into one.
How to Make Salted Vegan Caramel Sauce:
- Whisk together coconut cream and your favorite sugar, i prefer brown or coconut sugar but any vegan sugar will do.
- Simmer on low heat until thick and creamy, then whisk in a touch of vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt flakes to elevate all the flavors. NO Candy Thermometer required!
- Drizzle over everything!
What to Drizzle with Caramel Sauce:
- crisp apples
- chocolate sheet cake
- vanilla ice cream + apple pie filling
- these Christmas snowball cookies
- “caramel macchiato”
- this vegan pumpkin bread & pumpkin pie
- these mini raw pumpkin cheesecakes.
How to Store Salted Caramel:
- After it has cooled down caramel can be stored in a glass jar or container in the refrigerator up to one month.
- Caramel can also be frozen up to 3 months, just remember to thaw it out in the refrigerator before warming up.
FAQ: is caramel vegan ?
This recipe sure is, it’s really simple to use coconut cream instead of dairy to get an amazing cruelty-free caramel sauce. Let’s do this!
P.S. Don’t forget to come back here to rate the recipe if you give it a try, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Insta, it always makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce
Homemade vegan salted caramel sauce with vanilla and coconut cream. Only 4 ingredients, lusciously creamy, easy to make and perfect to drizzle over all your Christmas cookies, pies, cakes and ice cream!
Servings 8 people
- 2 cups brown or coconut sugar
- 13.5 oz can coconut cream organic
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch Fleur de Sel (sea salt flakes)
- In a medium sauce pan whisk together the sugar and coconut cream. Bring to a simmer on medium low heat.
- Simmer the caramel for 45 minutes until reduced and creamy. Make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t spill over on your stovetop.
- After 40 minutes have passed dip a teaspoon in the caramel sauce and place on a small plate. Allow to cool off completely. If the consistency of the caramel is to your liking remove from heat, otherwise continue cooking another 10 minutes or so until desired consistency is achieved. (Remember the caramel will continue to harden in the refrigerator as well).
- Remove the caramel sauce from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and sea salt flakes.
- Store in the refrigerator up to one week.
- Serve drizzled over your favorite vegan ice cream, pies or dip apple slices for the ultimate tasty treat.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Sodium: 85mg | Potassium: 155mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg
$9.99/year. No ads.