1 pot, 5 ingredients magic!
Curd is traditionally made with a mixture of egg yolks, sugar, butter and lemon juice but this version is totally vegan-friendly, quick and easy to make and ready in just a few minutes.
- Ideally you have a perfectly ripe fresh mango sitting on your kitchen counter and ready to be used. Red or yellow doesn’t really matter, they both add a nice tropical note and sweetness to the curd.
- Frozen mangos also work great, however make sure to thaw them out first or run them under some warm water. You can fit more in one cup this way + it blends so much nicer yielding a smoother silkier curd.
How to Make Mango Curd:
- Blend all of the curd ingredients (except the butter and zest) until smooth and creamy.
- Simmer on low heat for a few minutes until thickened then whisk in the vegan butter and lemon zest.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours or until perfectly chilled and set.
How to Thicken Lemon Curd:
- Tapioca: usually custards are thickened with gelatin which comes from animals but in this cruelty free version I used tapioca flour/ starch instead. Its neutral taste and thickening qualities are to be envied, from desserts to cheese sauces tapioca is a truly magical ingredient.
- Agar Agar Powder: this plant based gelatin comes from algae, it is also a gluten free option but not quite as easy to find as tapioca.
- Arrowroot Starch: comes from the Maranta Arundinacea plant and it can replace the tapioca in the recipe in equal amounts.
Mango Lemon Curd Uses:
Vegan Mango Lemon Curd
- Add the mango, sugar, lemon juice and tapioca to a powerful blender and process until extra smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer on medium low heat. Whisk for about 5 to 10 minutes until the curd has thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the lemon zest and butter until melted and incorporated. Allow to cool off then transfer to a lidded container and refrigerate until completely chilled and set. The curd is going to continue to thicken as it cools so don’t worry if it isn’t quite as thick as you imagined while still warm.