” Mille Feuille ” also known as a “Napoleon” a classic Neopolitan pastry dessert of ancient origin filled with a rich and thick vanilla custard or “ crème pâtissière “ – pretty much a dessert sandwich!
Why is Napoleon called Napoleon ?
How To Make Vegan Dairy Free Custard Cream Filling :
- It is as simple as whisking together some plant milk with tapioca and simmering together until thick. Sweeten with maple syrup and infuse with some good vanilla extract for the best, most decadent plant-based custard.
- You can let it cool and enjoy it as a pudding topped with your favorite fruit or preserves, use it in a trifle, to fill a tart, a pie, a cake or to make some lovely Italian pastry desserts like yours truly.
note: If you don’t have tapioca on hand you can replace it with arrowroot or cornflour/cornstarch.
FAQ: Is Puff Pastry Vegan ?
Can You Make Custard with Almond Milk ?
You’ll Love this Vegan Custard Pastry! It’s:
Vegan Custard Puff Pastry Napoleon
- Defrost the puff pastry according to the instructions on the box, usually 30-40 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 400”F.
- Roll out the pastry sheet on a parchment lined cookie sheet, pierce with a fork and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool.
Make the Custard:
- In a medium sauce pan over medium flame whisk together the cashew and coconut milk, maple syrup and tapioca. Bring to a simmer and continue whisking for a good 5 to 10 minutes on medium-low flame until the custard has thickened. Whisk in the vanilla extract or seeds and allow to cool off. (If you wish to give your custard a more yellowish tone make sure to whisk in the turmeric as well. It won’t affect the flavor just the color).
Assemble the Napoleons:
- Carefully separate the top and bottom part of the puff pastry, it should easily come apart. Place the bottom parts in a small baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the vanilla custard on top and cover with the top layer of puff pastry.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours until set. Use a serrated knife and cut into 10 rectangles or 8 squares to your liking. Dust with powder sugar and serve!