” Mille Feuille ” also known as a “Napoleon” a classic Neopolitan pastry dessert of ancient origin filled with a rich and thick vanilla custard or “ crème pâtissière “ – pretty much a dessert sandwich!
Why is Napoleon called Napoleon ?
How To Make Vegan Dairy Free Custard Cream Filling :
note: If you don’t have tapioca on hand you can replace it with arrowroot or cornflour/cornstarch.
FAQ: Is Puff Pastry Vegan ?
Can You Make Custard with Almond Milk ?
You’ll Love this Vegan Custard Pastry! It’s:
Vegan Custard Puff Pastry Napoleon
- Defrost the puff pastry according to the instructions on the box, usually 30-40 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 400”F.
- Roll out the pastry sheet on a parchment lined cookie sheet, pierce with a fork and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool.
Make the Custard:
- In a medium sauce pan over medium flame whisk together the cashew and coconut milk, maple syrup and tapioca. Bring to a simmer and continue whisking for a good 5 to 10 minutes on medium-low flame until the custard has thickened. Whisk in the vanilla extract or seeds and allow to cool off. (If you wish to give your custard a more yellowish tone make sure to whisk in the turmeric as well. It won’t affect the flavor just the color).
Assemble the Napoleons:
- Carefully separate the top and bottom part of the puff pastry, it should easily come apart. Place the bottom parts in a small baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the vanilla custard on top and cover with the top layer of puff pastry.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours until set. Use a serrated knife and cut into 10 rectangles or 8 squares to your liking. Dust with powder sugar and serve!