How to Make the Best Creamy Cauliflower Soup:
Potatoes and cashews replace the flour and unhealthy fats in this recipe resulting in a super luscious and creamy texture. The nutritional yeast adds that tasty cheesy goodness to the soup so you won’t be sacrificing any flavor in this healthy plant-based version.
If you feel like cranking up the oven by all means roast your cauliflower florets first with a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder, but it really isn’t necessary!
You’ll Love This Easy Cauliflower Soup:
How Do You Thicken Cauliflower Soup without Flour ?
Cashews and potatoes are purely magical thickeners, so there is no need to add anything else to thicken the soup: no starch, no flour, no roux, no slurry needed.
How To Store Cauliflower Soup:
- Transfer the soup to glass containers and refrigerate up to 4 days.
- Freeze in freezer safe glass containers up to 3 months. Remember to thaw out before reheating again.
Healthy Cauliflower Soup Toppings:
Pinch of Nutmeg.
Best Cauliflower Soup (Vegan)
- 1 large cauliflower -cut into florets
- 1 carrot -diced
- 1 small yellow onion -diced
- 1 rib celery -chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 3 medium golden potatoes -cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 6-8 cups vegetable stock (loe sodium)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 leaf bay
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger (or 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger root)
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon cut into wedges for serving OPTIONAL
- In a large pot over medium heat add a splash of veggie stock or water, the onion and a pinch of sea salt. Saute for a few minutes until translucent.
- Stir in the carrot and celery and add more water if needed. Continue cooking about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, cauliflower, potatoes, cashews, thyme and bay leaf and toss everything to coat.
- Pour in the veggie stock and bring to a simmer. Stir in the nutritional yeast, turmeric and ginger and cook about 15 to 20 minutes until all vegetables are soft. Discard bay and thyme sprigs.
- Transfer to a powerful blender and puree until silky smooth (work in batches). Adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt and serve garnished with the chives and the lemon wedges.
- You can omit the cashews if you prefer and add 1-2 cups of cashew milk instead, reduce the veggie stock by the same amount. It’s way silkier and creamier with the cashews tough.
- Make sure to use a powerful blender like the Vitamix when pureeing the soup or it might end up grainy instead of silky.