How to Make the Best Vegan Cauliflower Soup:
- Sautee – start by sautéing all your veggies in a splash of veggie broth or water, build a lot of deep flavor with aromatics and herbs. Onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay and thyme are my favorite flavor base but you can get creative here and use leeks, parsley root and oregano instead. Listen to your taste buds friends, recipes are but a guide!
- Puree – transfer everything to the Vitamix bowl (or another powerful blender) and blend it into the creamiest most luscious and comforting soup ever.
- Brighten it up – balance the flavors with a good squeeze of lemon juice and fresh herbs!
Potatoes and cashews replace the flour and unhealthy fats in this recipe resulting in a super luscious and creamy texture. The nutritional yeast adds that tasty cheesy goodness to the soup, so you won’t be sacrificing any flavor in this healthy plant-based version.
If you feel like cranking up the oven by all means roast the cauliflower florets first with a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder. It really isn’t necessary unless you really want to of course!
You’ll love this Vegan Cream of Cauliflower Soup:
+ Freezes Well.
How do you thicken cauliflower cashew soup without flour ?
Potatoes and cashews are purely magical thickeners! There’s really no need to add anything else to thicken the soup: no starch, no flour, no roux, no slurry needed. Just cashews!
Storing and Freezing:
- Transfer the soup to lidded glass containers and refrigerate up to 4 days.
- After cooling off completely you can freeze the soup in freezer safe glass containers up to 3 months. Remember to thaw out before reheating again.
Healthy Soup Toppings:
More Blended Soups to Try:
Since finally getting my Vitamix I have become obsessed with the creaminess of blender soups and stews. Here are a few more I think you’ll love: summery tomato gazpacho, roasted butternut squash soup, carrot ginger, spiced chickpea stew, potato leek, broccoli potato soup, sweet potato kale, yellow split pea and lemon lentil soup.
Vegan Cheesy Cauliflower Cashew Soup
- 1 large cauliflower -cut into florets
- 1 carrot -diced
- 1 small yellow onion -diced
- 1 rib celery -chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 3 medium golden potatoes -cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 6-8 cups vegetable stock (loe sodium)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 leaf bay
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger (or 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger root)
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon cut into wedges for serving OPTIONAL
- In a large pot over medium heat add a splash of veggie stock or water, the onion and a pinch of sea salt. Saute for a few minutes until translucent.
- Stir in the carrot and celery and add more water if needed. Continue cooking about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, cauliflower, potatoes, cashews, thyme and bay leaf and toss everything to coat.
- Pour in the veggie stock and bring to a simmer. Stir in the nutritional yeast, turmeric and ginger and cook about 15 to 20 minutes until all vegetables are soft. Discard bay and thyme sprigs.
- Transfer to a powerful blender and puree until silky smooth (work in batches). Adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt and serve garnished with the chives and the lemon wedges.
- You can omit the cashews if you prefer and add 1-2 cups of cashew milk instead, reduce the veggie stock by the same amount. It’s way silkier and creamier with the cashews tough.
- Make sure to use a powerful blender like the Vitamix when pureeing the soup or it might end up grainy instead of silky.
$9.99/year. No ads.