If you are looking for some super tasty ways to get more broccoli in your system, this comforting homemade potato soup is the way my friends.
Soaked cashews and nutritional yeast blended together with golden potatoes and homemade veggie stock give this soup that super rich creaminess without the addition of any cream or dairy at all. It’s:
This is definitely the time to bring out your powerful blender, totally worth the clean up as the silky texture you’ll achieve is pure perfection.
Creamiest Broccoli and Potato Soup Ever!
How to Make Broccoli and Potato Soup:
Creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup
- 1/2 onion (or 1/2 leek) -chopped
- 4 cloves garlic -minced
- 4 medium size golden potatoes (scrubbed & rinsed)
- 1 carrot -diced
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked)
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock (low sodium)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3-4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch sea salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup fresh chives -snipped
- Preheat a heavy stock up over medium low heat and sauté the onion in a splash of water until translucent.
- Add the sea salt, pepper flakes and carrots and give everything a nice toss. Cover with a lid and sweat a few more minutes until the carrots begin to soften.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, potatoes, soaked cashews and vegetable stock and bring everything to a simmer. Stir in the nutritional yeast, cover with a lid and cook about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes have softened.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a powerful mixer and purée until silky smooth. ( the Vitamix did an exponentially better job at this than my immersion blender).
- Transfer the creamy soup back to the pot and bring to a simmer again. Add the broccoli florets, cover with a lid and cook a few more minutes until the broccoli is softened to your liking. Take good care not to overcook it, 3 to 5 minutes should yield that perfect al dente texture.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with the sea salt. Add more vegetable stock at this point to thin out the soup if you prefer.
- Serve hot with extra red pepper flakes and the fresh chives.