A simple vegan pumpkin carrot cake recipe for when you can’t decide between pumpkin and carrots, because you know how Libras do! Without: eggs, sugar, butter, applesauce, simply the best!
We have shredded carrot, creamy pumpkin puree, a mix of whole wheat pastry and almond flours, olive oil then sweetened to perfection with nothing but maple syrup, and If you prefer a thick layer of cashew frosting.
You’ll notice I added fresh cranberries because this the season of course, and they just work really nice together. That’s not to say that you cannot make this cake all year round and replace the cranberries with chocolate chips, nuts or even blueberries.
So I made one cake and used a round cookie cutter to make mini cakes out of it. Then I layered those and turned them into miniature naked layered pumpkin carrot cakes. They turned out cute and fun and nothing went to waste.
Quick and easy too!
However, you can actually bake two carrot cakes, then layer them in one big naked cake with the cashew frosting and decorate to your liking. A bunch of chopped toasted walnuts would be really nice or just sprinkle some pretty edible flowers on top as I did.
If you make this recipe please let us know in the comments, rate the recipe, snap a photo and tag it with #VeggieSociety on Instagram.
Vegan Pumpkin Carrot Cake Recipe with Cashew Frosting
A simple vegan layer pumpkin carrot cake recipe for when you can’t decide between pumpkin and carrots. Loaded with cranberries or chocolate chips (depends on the season) and layered with cashew frosting.Print Recipe
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg -grated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 carrots - grated ( about 2 cups )
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp flax meal
- 1.5 cups cranberries (or chocolate chips depending on the season)
- Preheat your oven to 350”F
- Line the bottom on a 9 inch round spring form cake pan with parchment paper and set it on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the olive oil with the pumpkin puree, vinegar, vanilla and maple syrup. Add the flax meal and grated carrots and stir well to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour with the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir in the cranberries.
- Pour the wet ingredients in the bowl with the dry ingredients and using a spatula fold until combined.
- Pour the cake batter in the parchment lined cake pan and bake the cake in the the preheated oven for 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Once cooled remove the spring form and using a round cookie or biscuit cutter make 12 mini round cakes.
- At this point you can serve them as such or make the cashew frosting below to spread them with.
- Use a couple of tablespoons of the frosting on top of the mini carrot cake then layer with another mini cake. Add more frosting on top and decorate with edible flowers, chopped nuts, basil, mint or lemon balm.
Make the Cashew Frosting:
- Rinse the cashews with cold water and drain well. Add them to a bowl and cover with the almond milk. Refrigerate and allow to soak for a few hours or overnight.
- Transfer the soaked cashews to the bowl of a mini food processor and process until smooth. Add the maple syrup and vanilla and buzz a few times until incorporated. Taste and adjust sweetness to your taste. Refrigerate until needed.
Calories: 610kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 267mg | Potassium: 505mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 5515IU | Vitamin C: 2.4mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 3.6mg