A simple potato salad recipe (no mayo) with colorful new heirloom potatoes and herbs and two choices of dressing: lemon olive oil + an oil free version of apple cider vinegar mustard vinaigrette that is healthy and whole food plant based compliant.
how to make a simple potato salad great:
what goes well with potato salad ?
Simple Potato Salad (No Mayo)
- 2.5 lb new baby potatoes heirlooms
- 1.5 cups fresh green peas steamed
- 3/4 cup mixed fresh herbs parsley, dill, chives, oregano, rosemary, thyme, micro greens.
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1 radish or Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced + more as needed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
WFPB Oil-Free Mustard Dressing
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pinch smoked sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp capers optional
- 2 tbsp fresh dill minced
- Rinse and cut the potatoes into rustic thick slices, wedges or halves if they are tiny. Cover them with cold water and bring to a boil. Season with a good pinch of sea salt and simmer away until tender but still al dente, about 10 minutes. (Reserve 1/4 cup of the water to use in the oil-free dressing). Drain and set aside to dry in their own steam for a few minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, steam the green peas for 3 to 4 minutes until al dente.
- In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, most of the herbs (reserve some for garnish) and season to taste with sea salt. Adjust seasonings until your taste buds are happy.
- Add the cooked potatoes and green peas to the bowl with the dressing. Gently toss to coat. Allow the potatoes to sit in the dressing for about 10 minutes to absorb all the flavors.
- Adjust seasonings again, add the tomatoes and radishes and serve sprinkled with the reserved herbs and scallions.
WFPB Mustard Dressing:
- In the salad bowl whisk together the apple cider vinegar, mustard, dill, smoked sea salt, black pepper and capers. Taste and add some of reserved water from the potatoes to stretch it out a bit if desired. Toss with the salad and serve warm garnished with fresh herbs and scallions.