High Protein Vegan Ribs!
I made a sietan and jackfruit based recipe that unbelievably resembles tender ribs on every level. The jackfruit really helps bring the ideal shreddable texture together and keep the moisture at a perfect level.
what is sietan ?
A high protein food made from vital wheat gluten with a chewy and stringy texture that resembles meat. When mixed with jackfruit it delivers magical texture and flavor. The sietan ribs “dough” can be prepared in advance and refrigerated until ready to grill and slather with bbq sauce.
what is jackfruit ?
When eaten ripe it has a sweet taste much like a mango and pineapple but when picked green it makes a fantastic meat substitute as it picks up whatever flavors you season it with. It should not be confused with “durian” a smaller fruit similar in shape but with a strong pungent odor.
These Ultimate Barbecue Jackfruit Ribs Are:
what to serve with:
watch how to make the best vegan ribs:
P.S. As always, if you make this recipe please come back here to rate, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram.
Best Vegan Ribs
- 20 oz canned green jackfruit (packed in water not syrup)
- 1.25 cups vital wheat gluten + more as needed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes , or to taste
- 4 cloves garlic , grated
- 3/4 cups water (or low sodium vegetable stock)
- 3 tbsp tamari or coco aminos
- 1 cup BBQ sauce + more for dipping
- 2 leaves bay
- 1/3 cup fresh chives , for garnish
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional, only if you want a very smoky flavor)
- sea salt + black pepper to taste (1/2 tsp each)
- Preheat your oven to 375”F
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit very well then boil it with the bay leaves and a pinch of sea salt for about 20 minutes until softened. Drain and mash with a potato masher or shred with a fork. Discard any tough parts.
- In a medium bowl combine all the dry ingredients together then add the shredded jackfruit, tamari, water (or vegetable stock) and a pinch of sea salt. Mix well until a dough forms and use your hand to knead it for a good 5 minutes until the dough holds together nicely. Add a little extra sprinkling of wheat gluten if the dough seems too wet or a little more water if it feels to dry.
- Shape the dough down into a rectangle loaf about one inch thick then slice in half crosswise.
Grill & Oven Method:
- Preheat a seasoned cast iron griddle over medium flame. Grill the ribs for about 3 minutes on each side until nice grill marks form.
- Meanwhile line a 5 x1 0 rectangle shaped baking dish with parchment paper. Spread a thin layer of barbecue sauce over the bottom and place the grilled ribs on top. Spread the top with a thin layer of barbecue sauce and cover the pan with aluminum foil (or a lid) and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Use a pair of kitchen tongues and carefully flip the ribs. Brush with more barbecue sauce on top and bake uncovered for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to set for a few minutes. Using a sharp serrated knife to cut the ribs alongside the grill marks and serve on a bed of mashed potatoes with extra sauce and garnished with the fresh chives.
Easy Oven Baked Method:
- Alternatively you can skip the grilling step and bake the ribs in the oven.
- Spoon some BBQ on the bottom of the pan, place the ribs on top and brush with more BBQ sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes. Allow to cool and set for a few minutes before slicing with a sharp knife.
Bone In Method:
- Soak bamboo sticks, popsicle stick or cinnamon stick in warm water for 20 minutes.
- After shaping the rib mixture into a rectangle push the soaked bones through the dough about one inch apart.
- Spread some sauce in the bottom of the pan and place the rib rack on top. Spread more barbecue sauce over the top and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.
How to Reheat the Ribs:
- To reheat the ribs preheat a cast iron griddle or fire up the grill. Cook the ribs on medium low flame for a few minutes on each side until warmed through. Remember to brush with more BBQ sauce while grilling. This method will add extra smokiness to the ribs and nice charred grilled marks.