Jackfruit Pot Roast. Easy 1 pot wonder, guilt-free comfort food!
To keep it gluten-free and as healthy as possible I used some milled flax and chia mix as a thickener for the stew. You can add it at the same time with the potatoes or just before the stew is done. Let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
Feel free to also add in some of your favorite veggies here: green peas, mushrooms, green beans, spinach, kale, they all pair well with the slow cooked flavors of the jackfruit and potato stew. If you prefer you could even swap the potatoes in the recipe for gnocchi dumplings as I did here, barley or farro, whatever your taste buds fancy.
P.S The Batman says it was AMAZING, so I really think you should give it a try together with this potato pizza, these jackfruit vegan ribs, this corned jackfruit, our famous Zuppa Toscana, vegan flatbread + this hearty vegetable soy curls stew!
the Jackfruit for the stew:
You must use the green unripe variety that comes in a pouch or a can. I prefer the pouches as there is no liquid so therefor a perfect canvas to soak up all the savory flavors from the stew. Stores great for a few days in the refrigerator in glass containers.
How to Make Vegan Potato Jackfruit Stew
Vegan Potato Jackfruit Stew
- 4 cups young jackfruit pieces -(plain & drained well if packed in water)
- 3 cups potatoes -diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 yellow onion -chopped
- 5 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 large carrot -sliced into rounds
- 9 cups veggie stock -low sodium
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes -chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3-4 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 leaves bay
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- sea salt to taste
- 1.5 tbsp flax + chia meal
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley -chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Optional)
- Heat up a medium dutch oven over medium low flame. Add the chopped onion with a pinch of sea salt and a splash of water and sautee until translucent (about 5 minutes). Stir in the carrots and the garlic and cook another minute or so until it starts releasing its flavor making sure not to burn it.
- Stir in all the spices, thyme and bay leaves then add the jackfruit pieces. Pour in the veggie stock and bring the stew to a good simmer. Cover with a lid and cook 40 minutes.
- At this point you can use a potato masher to help shred the jackfruit into tender little bites. Add the potatoes and the flax meal and simmer the stew for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, taste and adjust seasonings with more seas salt at this point. Remove from heat and discard the bay and thyme sprigs. Stir in most of the parsley reserving some for garnish.
- Allow the stew to sit covered for a few minutes and thicken up before serving with garlic bruschetta, parsley and freshly cracked black pepper.