This Hearts of Palms Ceviche is It!
note worthy: hearts of palm are literally the heart of a palm tree, reminiscent in taste of artichokes they pick up flavor well which makes them the perfect candidate for our vegan ceviche. They are a good source of plant protein, potassium, fiber, and vitamins C, B6 and riboflavin.
Hearts of Palm Vegan Ceviche
- 15 oz hearts of palm (jarred or canned)
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes -chopped
- 2 scallions -finely chopped
- 1 lime or lemon -juiced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro -roughly chopped
- 1 green chili pepper -finely chopped, or to taste
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 2 tsp cold pressed flax seed oil (Optional)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes -for extra heat
- 1 tbsp sea vegetables (seaweed or dulse flakes) (Optional)
- Drain the hearts of palm and rinse well with water. Drain well again then chop or slice them into small pieces.
- Add the chopped hearts of palm to a medium salad bowl together with the tomatoes, scallions, chili pepper, lime juice oil and sea vegetables if using. Toss to coat well and season to taste with sea salt. Gently fold in the fresh cilantro and serve with your favorite chips and red pepper flakes If you want it extra spicy.